Skip to main content

Train smart, and hard and then recover.

The title of this post is a quote from a post on James Fisher's blog where he is reporting on a recent article that he has had published:


A randomized trial to consider the effect of Romanian deadlift exercise on the development of lumbar extension strength


There are some very interesting implications to the study:

  • Deadlifts are not a lower back exercise....but strengthening the lower back can improve the deadlift
  • Once a week training is enough for most major muscle groups
  • If you want a stronger lumbar extension....then train lumbar extension, not deadlifts

Comments

Anonymous said…
Does it also call into question the utility of a loaded static contraction, which the lumbar extensors perform in the romanian deadlift, for strengthening muscles through its associated joints range of motion?
Frankwa said…
I think the conclusion is "don't neglect dynamic core exercises as their effect on motor control is important".

BTW 1: pretty good weights for RDL!

BTW 2: it would be nice to know if the "male trained subject" were already using DL (or even squat) and lumbar extension in the training.
JamesSteeleII said…
@Frankwa

To my knowledge all the trained subjects were recruited on the basis that they could demonstrate adequate RDL technique and thus had performed it before. This was in order to try to mitigate learning effect and skill development as much as possible. Whether they were using it as a regular exercise in their training I don't know. If they were then the increases are even more impressive.

I can however confirm that the participants were not training using the MedX Lumbar Extension Machine nor had they ever been training using it prior to the study.
nada said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said…
So he says that he prefers resistance machines over free weights?It also indicates that exercises specific to muscle groups might be better than general exercises. This kind of goes in the face of everything I know? I thought general exercises/free weights were what you should be aiming for. Thoughts?
nada said…
Interesting post, Chris.
Slightly off topic ,this is regarding TSC for legs.
If you have access to a staircase ,the space below it could be used to do TSC for legs. With your back against the backside of the stairs - provided it's not shaped like inverted steps- one could perform TSC for quads with feet on floor of course.
If it is shaped like inverted stairs behind the staircase, a plain surface with cushioning could be fixed to it.
One could move forward or backward to attain 90 degree knee position to get the maximum moment arm for the quads.
But cannot change hip angle here,since that would depend on the angle of staircase slope to the floor. Steeper the staircase, larger the angle I guess.

Hope I made some sense.
If I did, please let me know what you think.
Also, do you think an increase in degree of hip flexion would have any benefit while doing TSC for legs this way?

Thanks
Chris said…
@civilisedforager

As I've got older I have developed my own thinking. you need to develop strength safely and then learn the appropriate skills to apply it. Safe exercise can well mean the use of decent machines and sometimes even isolation exercises. "Functional" training is a mistaken concept because skills do not transfer. Free weights have value but things are not always as simple as we think. Keep it safe is key to me now
Chris said…
@nada

Thanks - I see what you mean. I would have to think re hip flexion.

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...