Skip to main content

Getting seduced by the marketing...

I do not do deadlifts....I am happy with my exercise and how it supports my lifestyle and hobbies.....I have no real interest in deadlifting hundreds of pounds.......It was the deadlift that originally hurt my back 20 years ago......

Yet still I found myself severely tempted by Pavel and Andy Bolton's new book, Deadlift Dynamite....even the cheesey sales video had me drawn in.


I didn't buy it.  I am sure it is a good book, but I am trying to wean myself off the marketing, the products.  Automatically buying whatever promises a new secret.  There are no secrets.

Comments

Scott Pierce said…
So true. There is no secret. There is some good info out there but I have resolved never again to buy anything that is over marketed and uses one of those cheesy websites with all the testimonials and scrolls down forever. I don't care if it is the greatest product in the friggin' world, if you have one of those sites, I'm out.
Chris said…
I am feeling guilty now because the hillfit.com site is a little bit on the cheesey side......
WoLong said…
I feel your pain, literally as DL was not kind to my back either.
Bill said…
Chris,

I just checked out Hillfit.com and I have to agree, it borders right on the edge of cheesy. It looks like a similar template is used for all of these web sites. I really like the banner, but after that it pretty much looks like every other site trying to sell you on something. Way too many "buy now" buttons and that pic of Skylar Tanner has got to go : )

That style must work, though. Otherwise it wouldn't be used so much.
Anonymous said…
C'mon, if you're going to insult my awesome photo, at least spell my name right!

-Skyler
Dan said…
Deadlifts fixed my back pain. I also would easily injure my back while lifting heavy objects, even with proper form. Sometimes it was not even that heavy of an object. Once I progressed my deadlift to the equivalent of my bodyweight, all problems ceased.

Core is important for injury prevention. Just as important as the rest of your muscles for health and longevity. Deadlifts do things that other kinds of lifts do not. It's like doing a pull up. Being able to lift your own bodyweight is an indicator of basic health. If you can't do that, I'd be worried
Chris said…
Skyler, did you get my email?

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...