Skip to main content

A definition of exercise

I'm just posting this here as a reference.

Ken Hutchins has developed his very precise definition of exercise:

Exercise is a process whereby the body performs work of a demanding nature, in accordance with muscle and joint function, in a clinically controlled environment, within the constraints of safety, meaningfully loading the muscular structures to inroad their strength levels to stimulate a growth mechanism within minimum time.

(I copied this from Analyzing the Definition of Exercise but he has published this in lots of places before.

I have had some enjoyable correspondence with Ken in recent years - virtually all my training is now Timed Static Contraction (TSC) - and I have refined the definition in my mind at least, trying to express the ideas in a way that I understand them.  Hopefully they are as precise as Ken would like

Exercise is the application of mechanical tension to muscles, in accordance with muscle and joint function, within the constraints of safety, loading the muscular structures optimally to inroad their strength levels with the aim of stimulating a mechanism that strengthens muscle and promotes beneficial change in other systems in the body.



Comments

Billy Oblivion said…
"...optimally to inroad their strength levels"

???

This, at least at first glance seems to exclude stretching, and might be argued to exclude "recovery" exercise like moderate speed walking or "recovery runs".
jd said…
---"loading the muscular structures optimally to inroad their strength levels with the aim of stimulating a mechanism that strengthens muscle and promotes beneficial change in other systems in the body." So I guess I'm not exercising if I run, ski, walk or play pickle ball? I don't think about optimally loading muscles when I do those things. This seems more like a definition of strength training?
Chris said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Chris said…
Yes - they might have some effect but they are not exercise according to this definition.
Chris said…
the argument made by Ken Hutchins is that running, pickleball skiing etc are recreation rather than exercise. They will have some exercise effect but that is not what they are done to achieve. His definition is quite precise.

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...