Skip to main content

Vigorous exercise prevents diabetes?

Let's move away from the fasting debate. Here is a more simple idea to grasp - vigorous exercise can reduce the incidence of diabetes. Diabetes is becoming an epidemic in the West (even for cats!) as people get fatter and less active. It is a terrible condition which can lead to a lot of other unpleasant problems.

However again it seems that simple physical activity can prevent it in many. This of course links to some of the earlier posts about the way in which exercise can promote insulin sensitivity.

As I get older I think my focus is gradually changing from how to be strong /lean / fast / look good to how to be well / healthy / functional. Exercise is so important simply to keep us healthy that is not right to restrict it to athletes or "keeping fit". It is about keeping healthy. As some of the other studies that I have posted to indicate, important metabolic benefits can occur without changes in body composition - you can get more healthy without looking any better! The perspective needs to be longer term, keeping well and active and healthy. Don't always focus on how you look.

Exercise can be simple too - you do not need complicated routines. Try some of the interval sessions at hillfit.com for example (The Programme) Add some balance work and maybe some pushups and you are on the way to something very effective.

Anyway, the abstract is here:

Changes in vigorous physical activity and incident diabetes in male runners
Ernest Orlando Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory


ptwilliams@lbl.gov

ABSTRACT

Objective & Design: We examined the dose-response relationship between changes in reported vigorous exercise (running distance, km/wk) and self-reported physician diagnosed diabetes in 25,988 men followed prospectively for (mean±SD) 7.8±1.8 years.

Results: Logistic regression analyses showed that the log odds for diabetes declined significantly in relation to men's km/wk (coefficient±SE: -0.012±0.004, P<0.01), which remained significant when adjusted for BMI (-0.018±0.003, P<0.0001). The decline in the log odds for diabetes was related to the distance run at the end of follow-up when adjusted for baseline distance, with (-0.024±0.005, P<0.0001) or without (-0.027±0.005, P<0.0001) adjustment for BMI. Baseline distance was unrelated to diabetes incidence when adjusted for the distance at the end of follow-up. Compared to men who ran <8 km/wk at the end of follow-up, incidence rates in those who ran 8 km/wk were 95% lower between 35-44 yrs old (P<0.0001), 92% lower between 45-54 yrs old (P<0.0001), 87% lower between 55 and 64 years old (P<0.0001), and 46% lower between 65-75 yrs old (P=0.30). For the subset of 6,208 men who maintained the same running distance during follow-up (±5 km/wk), the log odds for diabetes declined with weekly distance run (-0.024±0.010, P=0.02) but not when adjusted for BMI (-0.005±0.010, P=0.65).

Conclusion: Vigorous exercise significantly reduces diabetes incidence, due in part to the prevention of age-related weight gain and in part to other exercise effects.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...