Skip to main content

Bone Health - cycling doesn't help!

Just after I posted the last one entry saying that I'd not seen anything interesting, I come across this study!



Study Shows Some Athletic Men May Risk Low Bone Density
A new study from the University of Missouri-Columbia has found that men engaging predominantly in low-impact forms of exercise - have an increased incidence of osteopenia—a condition resulting in two times the risk of bone fracture.

The researchers measured bone mineral density in 43 competitive male cyclists and runners ages 20 to 59. Findings of the study included:

The cyclists had significantly lower bone mineral density of the whole body, especially of the lumbar spine, compared to runners.

63 percent of the cyclists had osteopenia of the spine or hip compared with 19 percent of the runners.
Cyclists were seven-times more likely to have osteopenia of the spine than the runners.

Regular, non-weight-bearing activities, such as swimming and cycling are effective measures for preventing the leading risk factors for death and disability in our society,” Hinton said. “But the results of this study suggest that regular weight-bearing activities, such as running, jogging, or rope jumping, are important for the maintenance of healthy bones."


There was a similar study a few years ago: Low bone mineral density in highly trained male master cyclists


This is back to the basic question....what are you designed for? Exercise is good, but the full spectrum of benefits only come when you are doing weight bearing moves, or moves that involve an impact. Again it is all about functional moves: weights, jumps, sprints, twists, pushups.....

If you are training for health and longevity - not just to burn fat or get six pack abs, then maybe it is worth keeping off the bike and staying on your feet?

Comments

Noel said…
I'd rather say "don't spend all your time on the bike". Cycling can be a nice respite for the joints after all those sets of plyos, heavy squats, and heavy DLs that I'm sure all readers do.
Chris said…
I agree with that Noel. I suppose I was pointing this out to all those who spend hours on a stationary bike at the gym.
Unknown said…
One exercise solution, is an oxymoron. I see this with the stationary bikes, road bikes, and aerobics machines in gyms. Come in, do their thing, leave.

If you want to be a bike racer, since it is so specific a skill and strategic, you should probably spend as much of your obsessed life as possible on the bike.

But if you are not a bike bloke, then give your butt and back a break, maybe drop leave the outfit home now and then too.

Success at sports, particularly bike racing and general health are not compatible. If you want to win, you pay the price, but if you just want to be in some kind of shape why rip yourself off? IMO-totally

Bryce

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...