Skip to main content

Exercise Bands

Here is an interesting study.....

Exercise bands are interesting pieces of equipment. They are used by physiotherapists in rehabilitation for injuries, as a piece of training equipment in their own right and also as a method of adding variable resistance to the power lifts - the further you pull the harder it gets.

This study caught my eye because I think I have experienced the phenomenon to which it refers.

Exercise with latex sport bands represents a risk for latex allergic patients.

Based on two clinical observations of adverse reactions during exercise with latex sport bands, we aimed to assess the possible risk for allergic patients posed by this equipment by investigating allergen content and IgE binding potential. Protein extracts of three different latex sport bands were characterized with sera of latex allergic patients. The IgE recognition profile of the allergic patients was identified by component resolved diagnosis and the allergen composition of the extracts was characterized by inhibition assays with the recombinant latex allergens Hev b 1, 3, 5, 6.02, and 8. The sera showed pronounced IgE binding to all three blotted extracts, however with diverse patterns. Inhibition assays revealed the presence of Hev b 1, 3, 5, and 8 in latex sport band extracts. The clinical relevance of contained allergens was demonstrated by strong skin reactions when testing with latex sport bands. From our results we conclude that latex sport bands contain clinically relevant allergens and may cause latex allergic individuals to experience allergic symptoms, potentially amplified by exercise-induced mechanisms. Even though latex is labeled on products, it is important that patients as well as athletic trainers and physical therapists recognize the risk of adverse reactions with these bands.

I have experienced a rash and swelling after handling rubber - balloons, elastic bands and exercise bands.... Be that as it may be....there is some solid science behind using bands and some practical accounts of how to do it.

Here are a couple of ways of using the bands:

To help your sprinting


or even to add explosiveness to your swings....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...