Skip to main content

Exercise - concentrate on what you are doing!

This article was just published in the British Journal of Sports Medicine. It sounds really interesting, although each time I read the abstract I think it means something different!

Any bright ideas out there on the implications of this? I suppose I see it as a lesson in concentrating on what you are doing. If you are training and thinking about something else, the effect will not be so great. Maybe many of us have had that experience in the gym at least - you go to train preoccupied with something else in your life - a sick child, a job problem, a bill, an argument with you partner, whatever....and your mind isn't in it so somehow your strength is not there....

Let me know your thoughts!


Background: Epidemiological findings of higher injury incidence during the latter stages of soccer match-play have been attributed to fatigue.

Objective: To examine the interaction of physical and cognitive responses during soccer-specific intermittent exercise.

Method: Ten semi-professional soccer players completed a 90-minute laboratory-based treadmill protocol replicating the activity profile of soccer match-play. Two separate trials were performed in randomised order, with and without the added stressor of a continuous grid-based vigilance task. The exercise task comprised six repetitions of a 15 minute activity profile, separated by a passive 15 minute half-time interval. The vigilance task required continual attention and sporadic target response within a letter grid. Physical response (RPE, heart rate, blood lactate, salivary cortisol) and cognitive performance (response time, response accuracy) were quantified at 15 minute intervals.

Results: Completing the exercise task with the vigilance task resulted in decreased physiological (heart rate, blood lactate) response. This may be attributed to externally directed attention, resulting in association with the cognitive task and subsequent dissociation from the physical effort. Response speed generally improved with exercise duration, while there was evidence of impaired accuracy in the early stages of the first half and the latter stages of the second half.

Conclusion: The interaction of physical and mental work was not additive in nature. The mental task had a masking effect on the physical response. Performing physical exercise tasks without due regard for appropriate psychological stimuli may therefore overestimate the physiological response.

Comments

Unknown said…
Answer: Yes.

If anyone doubts anything about the interaction of neurology/psychology/and physiology. Write me.

This has nothing to do with sports directly but get a book called "The midnight disease" it's very personal to who wrote it yet she writes about hypergraphia and writers block during periods of temporal lobe epilepsy. The point is, with sports or writing sometimes you look at a blank page, sometimes you write easily...why?

Sometimes I can do no wrong in the weightroom, sometimes I can do no right, explain it as much as you want but it's more like writers block than bad nutrition or a bad routine once I started thinking more deeply about it.

Bryce
Chris said…
Interesting to think of it as writers block.

Psychology and attitude is so important. I do not have anything like the problems that you have to contend with Bryce, but I know that the mind is a key element in lots of things.

I have a recurring bad back and I can correlate my back spasms pretty well with periods of major stress in my life. I get psychologically preoccupied with work or a relationship and suddenly the back goes...(then I end up distracted from the problem at least)
Unknown said…
I know its a strange way to think about it, but sometimes being in a strange place leads to strange maps being drawn to try to walk around or find some way out.

I don't like what's happening to me, yet if I can carry back what I've learned out of these woods, once I'm fixed up. It's quite an exciting thing, at least to me.

I think I am the dead-on proof to what you quoted, in extremis and from a different direction which only reinforces the point yet further. Burnt out, occupied or attenuated neuronz iz burnt out, occupied or attenuated neuronz.

Further at a less medically exotic level, I've noticed that "multitasking" or having your mind distributed on several tasks or thoughts at once, only means you do each of them badly.

Bryce

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...