Skip to main content

Huge Jump....



I found that on YouTube. There are a few other videos there from the same guys, most of which are of them doing Olympic Lifts.

For example:



Goes to show that explosive power and Oly Lifting go together.

Then again I was just reading Vern Gambetta's "Athletic Development":

Another argument given for the use of the Olympic lifting movements is that they help with jumping because in biochemical analysis of Olympic lifting, the pattern of force closely resembles the vertical jump. I may be missing something here, but then why not just jump with resistance? Learning and mastering the technical complexity of Olympic lifting movements to improve jumping seems to be a stretch.


That said he is still keen on the Olympic lifts - modified where necessary to fit the body type of the athlete.

Adapt the method to the athlete; don't adapt the athlete to the method. Remember you are not training Olympic lifters: you are training athletes who use the Olympic lifts and their derivatives to raise explosive power.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hi Chris,

What is your take on squats and deadlifts enhancing vertical jump? While the movement aren't as explosive as the clean and the snatch, they still require strength.

Any thoughts?
Chris said…
Hi there

I think generally getting stronger - e.g. through squats or deads - will help to some degree, but if you want specifically to improve your vertical jump there are better ways to go about it.

There are a few posts on this blog tagged with "jump" and you should flick through them. They say basically don't stretch first but do use plyometrics. There was also a study here that proposed that "The results suggest that subject's own body provides the optimal load for producing maximum mechanical output in vertical jumping. If corroborated by the results of future studies performed on other rapid movement, our findings could support the hypothesis that the muscular system is designed for producing maximum mechanical output in rapid movements when loaded only with the weight and inertia of its own body."

You also have to think about specificity - if you want to be a better jumper, you need to jump! You also need to train the movements and the "power" - being explosive. You might like to think around the concepts that Vern Gambetta discusses here

So I'd say jump and also do movements that mimic the jump and strengthen that pattern - swings, snatches etc...and be explosive as that is what you are trying to develop.

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...