Skip to main content

Strength Training Benefits Cycling Performance

Here is an interesting one, showing how strength training benefited performance at cycling. Apparently as the subjects got stronger, they also got more aerobically fit. Their aerobic fitness improved without aerobic training.

Strength training improves supramaximal cycling but not anaerobic capacity

This study examined supramaximal cycling performed to exhaustion at 120% of peak O2 uptake (120% VO2peak) before and after 8 weeks of strength training.

Eight previously untrained men completed 8 weeks of leg-strength training 3 days week−1 on a hack-squat machine; four sets, five repetitions at 85% of one repetition maximum each session. Anaerobic capacity was quantified by determining the maximal accumulated O2 deficit during supramaximal cycling.

After 8 weeks of strength training, one repetition maximum for the hack squat significantly increased by 90 ± 33% when compared to before training. However, 8 weeks of strength training did not increase the maximal accumulated O2 deficit. Nevertheless, after 8 weeks of strength training, there was a significant increase in time to exhaustion for cycling at 120% VO2peak. The increase in time to exhaustion after 8 weeks of strength training was accompanied by a significant increase in accumulated O2 uptake.

In conclusion, 8 weeks of strength training improves supramaximal cycling performance in previously untrained subjects. However, increases in time to exhaustion for supramaximal cycling following strength training are associated with an increase in the contribution of the aerobic energy system rather than an improvement in anaerobic capacity.

Comments

cheap viagra said…
It is my favorite activity during the weekends, excellent exercise.

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...