Skip to main content

What was a Paleo diet....


I sometimes get accused of pushing a paleo diet. I don' think I'm pushing anything, just giving you something to think about...



Anyway Matt points to an article (pdf) which speculates on at what a paleo diet was.....

Comments

Stephan Guyenet said…
I have to say, I'm skeptical about this report. He says 35% of calories came from carbs, but where are you going to get carbs in the African savannah?

You'd have to eat 10 apples a day to get 35% of your calories from them. Modern apples are bigger and sweeter than wild fruit, so you'd probably have to eat a lot more than that. Plus, fruit is seasonal.

There may have been some starchy tubers, but again that's seasonal and probably not abundant enough to account for that many calories.

I don't believe that they got 2-3% of their calories from honey either. Honey is not a common food in any part of the world. That means they would have to eat an average of 2 tbsp honey per person per day. At that rate, they'd probably deplete the local honey stocks in a couple of months.

So basically I think it's implausible that they ate that much carb because it probably was not an abundant nutrient. I could believe 15%, with seasonal variability.

Also, I don't agree with their figures for polyunsaturated and saturated fat. I've seen some pretty potent rebuttals of those numbers. When you include organ meats and the fact that HGs went after the fattest animals, you get a pretty hefty amount of saturated fat. They reference Cordain in that article, who has been notoriously wrong about fat composition of HG diets in his earlier studies.
Chris said…
I must admit that I have the same concerns as you about this Sasq. The honey reference struck me as particularly odd. Good comment
Stephan Guyenet said…
Yeah it sounds like they really wanted to pump up the carb and polyunsaturated fat so it would be closer to conventional nutrition recommendations.

It doesn't square with what I've read about 20th-21st century HGs, or the archeology I'm aware of.

Although I have to admit, if every American ate like that paper claims early humans ate, we would definitely be healthier than we are now.

Thanks for posting the article.

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...