Skip to main content

Primum non nocere

Or (in English) "First, do no harm."

Primum non nocere is a Latin phrase that means "First, do no harm." The phrase is sometimes recorded as primum nil nocere.

It is one of the principal precepts all medical students are taught in medical school. It reminds a physician that he or she must consider the possible harm that any intervention might do.
(From Wikipedia)

I recently attended a kettlebell workshop (RKC/Hardstyle) taught by Dr Mark Cheng of Kettlebells LA and hosted by Rannoch Donald of Kettlebells Scotland.

The first thing that Mark said at the workshop washed over me a little at the time, but I've been thinking about it more and more since then. The primary thing he wanted us to remember with respect to our training was simple: FIRST DO NO HARM.

Training and exercise should not damage or injure. They should enhance your life, health and function rather than diminish it. I've injured myself in the past through exercise - I still suffer from a bad back initiated about 16 years ago when deadlifting - and it is so frustrating and paradoxical. Sometimes the extra fitness benefit is not worth the health risk that comes with that little bit extra. I was reminded of this last night - I tweaked my back doing burpees, an exercise that had irritated my back in the past. I was primed for it - unfamiliar exercise over the weekend and a long drive left me tight and sore.

I want to be fit through my 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's and beyond. Perhaps that means a different perspective on exercise.

Do no harm - in terms of the movements, the frequency, the intensity.




Comments

Scott W said…
That is exactly the conclusion that I am coming to (finally). But it is so hard. If you are into working out, the extra pushing is very difficult to control, even when you know better, even when you feel a warning twinge. Too bad it takes hard lessons. One of my biggest issues involves always pushing myself beyond muscle failure, and that has caused much grief and slow recovery. DeVany says never do it and I am finally understanding why. Great post, great blog.
Charles R. said…
I'm 56, I played football, hockey, tennis, and volleyball, mostly not very well, but with enthusiasm.

I also trained stupidly (we knew a lot less back then, but we should have known enough not to almost kill ourselves.)

When the testosterone is pumping, either yours, or everyone else's in the gym, it is really, really hard to keep your head, and make good choices.

I am paying for that now. It is taking me years to repair the damage, and there are some things I will never be able to do again, that I should be able to do.

But for me to try to tell that to someone in their 20s...it just doesn't go over. "Sure, grandpa. You bet."

Take care of your knees. Take care of your back. Don't overtrain. When you are tired, rest. When something starts to hurt, stop doing that!

Part of the problem is that the reason we are at the gym at all is because we are motivated to push ourselves. So it's always an uphill struggle.

Oh, and by the way, you aren't going to live forever. That shocked the hell out of me, I gotta tell you.
Billy Oblivion said…
Chainey:

Switch gyms. Go to one like a YMCA where they're used to working with geriatrics, rehab patients and soccer moms. There you will find trainers who are perfectly willing to let you work inside your comfort zone.

Uh. You're in New Zeland, do they have Ys there?

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...