Skip to main content

Proof of the pudding.....


I am not sure what I think of this.....


I have learned a lot from Paul Chek and enjoy his writings, for example this on abdominal training.

Mark Reifkind, whose knowledge of rehab and physio I rate highly, has written about the influence that Chek had on him here and here, in two excellent posts.

The point Chek makes in this video is quite pertinent - if someone is purporting to be an expert in training, diet or conditioning then they really should look the part.

Some of the New Agey stuff he is into does not really fit with me, but I think I can forgive the apparent madness as enthusiasm!

See what you think!




There is a whole series of his videos on Youtube.

Comments

Sue said…
He looks good! I agree that if you're going to follow someone's advice that person should look healthy.
Charles R. said…
Hey, some of that "new age" stuff has been around longer than those traditional eating patterns that we are not accepting as a good thing.

Chek is great. I am sitting one one of his balls right now...I mean one of his exercise balls.

It's great to hear someone who is so positive. And given that, and what he looks like, it's hard to argue that his approach isn't likely to be successful.

I've been reading his stuff for a long time, and he is a really smart guy.
Sue said…
LOL - I'm glad you cleared that up about the balls!
Chris said…
Thanks for the comments guys.

I really do like Chek. I think there are two sets of guys in the conditionin world. Those that base it all on science and those that try to take a bigger picture look at things. I am not yet sure where I think chek fits
Anonymous said…
"If you can't teach in your underwear, you shouldn't be talking about health" Classic....I would certainly attend more seminars taught by women if that were the case!

Chek is ALL self taught and I think that is what makes him so smart IMO. I spent 8 hours in a day seminar with him....that guy is smart...and really out there on some of his stuff...but his basic principles are right on. Eat, Move and Be Healthy is a good read (although I don't buy into the metabolic typing aspect). His books are good, his certs are waaayyy too expensive.

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...