Skip to main content

Connections.....

Vern Gambetta recently had a good post on his blog. It was short so I'll reproduce it fully here:

Everything is connected. Impossible to isolate one system of the body, when one is working then all are working. You may designate a workout as having a metabolic emphasis or a neural emphasis, but there will be profound effects on all systems of the body not just the “targeted” system. I particularly enjoy swim coaches who have all these neat color coded charts with workouts in very specific heart rate zones designed to target specific energy systems – the body is so much smarter than that, it is always seeking to adapt and preserve homeostasis. It is IMPOSSIBLE to isolate one energy system or for that matter one system of the body whether it is neural, cardio vascular, muscular, or endocrine hormonal. Recognize that there is always a spillover effect, for example 3 x 150 meter sprints at 95% with full recovery will maximally tax all systems of the body. You will be working at greater than VO2 max during a portion of that sprint. Understanding this has great implications, as a coach it took me too long to figure this out. You will find if you grasp the idea that you will need to do less “fitness” oriented training when you realize the cumulative effect of all the components of training.



I was reminded of this by a study that popped up the other day:

The relative contributions of anaerobic and aerobic energy supply during track 100-, 400- and 800-m performance.


AIM: The present study set out to identify the relative contribution of the laboratory determined physiological measures, (maximal) accumulated oxygen deficit (AOD) and maximal oxygen uptake (VO(2max)), when predicting track performance.
METHODS: Fourteen volunteers (men: n=10; women: n=4); mean (+/- standard deviation [SD]) height 1.76+/-0.1 (men) vs 1.62+/-0.08 m (women); body mass: 67.9+/-7.1 (men) vs 50.6+/-8.2 kg (women), ran track races at distances of 100, 400 and 800 m. The individually determined (maximal) AOD and VO(2max) were measured under controlled laboratory conditions (68.3+/-10.2 vs 60.7+/-16.1; men vs women, mL.(2).Eq.kg(-1)) and (68.7+/-7.3 vs 55.6+/-4.3; men vs women, mL.kg(-1).min(-1)), respectively.
RESULTS: Track performance could be predicted using both laboratory measures, AOD and , with a high degree of accuracy: R2=76.9%, 84.8% and 89.1% for 100, 400 and 800 m, respectively. Data analysis confirmed the dominant energy supply during 100-m sprinting was the anaerobic energy supply processes, reflected as AOD. In contrast, oxidative metabolism (reflected as VO(2max)) was the dominant source of energy supply during 800-m performance.
CONCLUSION
: The results support earlier research, rather than present textbook dogma, namely that aerobic and anaerobic processes contribute equally to maximal exercise lasting approximately 60 s.


In training it isn't always possible to split up your exercise so precisely - this bit is aerobic, this bit is anaerobic. It is interesting because sport - and life - is like that - a mixture.

Comments

Christopher said…
Although that conclusion makes sense as a former 400/800 runner, I'm a little bit confused as to how they arrived at it. When they say "aerobic and anaerobic processes contribute equally to maximal exercise lasting approximately 60 s" I'm assuming they are referring to the 400, but in their results, they only report on the energy supplies for the 100 and 800. Did they just assume the 400 ought to fall somewhere between the two? That seems like an illogical jump to me.
Chris said…
I know - unfortunately this is another case in which the abstract doesn't tell the whole story.
Hi Chris This has implications in game sports or multi sprint sports such as football (soccer) and training should reflect the game. Completing distances over a distance greater than what is run in a game is to me a waste. I advocate repeated sprints over distances not greater than 20-25metres for these type of sports and utilising change of direction and acceleration/deceleration is what is required. I will report to you some prelimary results of some recent work soon

Regards

Craig
Chris said…
Craig

thanks for the comment - it makes a lot fo sense. I came across a couple of interesting new football related studies that I'll put up later on that support what you are saying.

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...