Skip to main content

Functional Training for football


.......that is proper (association) football.

This is really following on from the last post and also continuing the theme of functional training - training in a way that mimics the motions and movement patterns/frequencies of your sport.

These studies are about football and look at how to set up optimal and appropriate conditioning routines. Both these look at how training can replicate what goes on in a match. A 10k run will not cut it, but these ideas will. (by the way blogger is annoying me and keeps on messing up the formatting when I try to format these abstracts....)

Effects of a new experimental training program on V.O2max and running performance. - .....the main intervention was performed in the conditioning phase where the control group performed traditional conditioning (straight-line running, with stretching exercises in the break) and the experimental group underwent a conditioning training program on designed polygon, very much akin to a real game situation; sprint-runs with or without the ball and rapid changes in direction. During the 20, 40 or 60m sprint-run the players had to perform specific ball drills depending on marked polygon station.

Physical load imposed on soccer players during small-sided training games. - the results of this study suggest that small-sided games can be used effectively to develop the specific endurance capacity of football players. The integration of these drills by coaches during the regular training schedule can help replicating the demands experienced during real match-play

Comments

Hi Chris you do an outstanding job. These are 2 good studies however I question why the first study tests players on the distances they did. Study 2 highlights small sided games and I think the combination of both is most effective. For example having 1 group perfom short intervals the other in small sided games than rotating. This allows the players to touch the ball and also allows us to work with players without the ball where we can puch further. If you view the average heart rate of study 2 it is not that high and in my GPS data my averages are much higher. I have an unpublished at present abstract of a study I have just completed using a sprint based protocol and would be happy for you to view it before I send it off if you want

Regards

CD
Chris said…
Hi Craig and thanks for your comments.

I'd certainly be interested to read the abstract - I'd warn you of course that I am an amateur at all this and this blog is a record / file of things that interest me as much as anything.

chris AT conditioningresearch.com should get to me

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...