Skip to main content

Fat - Its not what you think.....


According to the press release, this one sounds a lot like Taubes' Good Calories, Bad Calories.....

In making her argument, Leas offers some startling facts. For example:

  • Overweight people live longer than those in the so-called “healthy” range of the BMI scale.
  • No one has ever shown a correlation between egg consumption and cardiovascular disease.
  • Doctors often prescribe statin drugs when our cholesterol level reaches 240, even though this is actually within the normal range.
  • A porterhouse steak contains more unsaturated fat than saturated fat.
  • Today Americans consume 15 percent less fat than we did in 1970, yet overall we are 20 percent fatter.



Leas points to a number of studies that offer convincing evidence that the over-consumption of carbohydrates and the past proliferation of synthetic transfat—a truly dangerous fat—are actually to blame for the obesity and heart disease epidemics.

Throughout the book, Leas explains the science behind fats in a manner that the layperson can easily comprehend. She also explains the terminology often used in fat discussions that most people do not really understand, such as triglycerides, polyunsaturated, omega-3, and transfat, allowing everyone to truly know what is in their foods so that they can make informed health decisions. Nina Planck, author of REAL FOOD: WHAT TO EAT AND WHY, sees the importance of this, “Americans are terrified of fat, doctors tell myths about fat, and journalists repeat them. Butter is good for you and corn oil isn’t. Don’t be the last one to know why: read this book.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...