Skip to main content

Old guys, weights and protein.....

I am sure that there are lots of clever people reading this blog that will be able to make more of this study than I can but how about:

  • Resistance training still has effects on older men
  • Taking protein around training in older men reduces the usual resultant levels of testosterone in the blood; but
  • Taking protein around training did not affect the gene expression associated with other hormonal growth factors.

So in the light of this study and of this one - Protein co-ingestion stimulates muscle protein synthesis during resistance type exercise - is it a good idea to eat protein around your training? I don't know and I can't really comment since I've not tried it, but I can't help thinking that I would throw up.

Androgen receptors and testosterone in men-Effects of protein ingestion, resistance exercise and fiber type.

The purpose of this study was to examine the impact of protein ingestion on circulating testosterone and muscle androgen receptor (AR) as well as on insulin-like growth factor-I (MGF and IGF-IEa) responses to a resistance exercise (RE) bout in (57-72 year) men. Protein (15g whey) (n=9) or placebo (n=9) was consumed before and after a RE bout (5 sets of 10 repetition maximums), and vastus lateralis muscle biopsies were taken pre, 1 and 48h post-RE. The protein ingestion blunted the RE-induced increase in serum free and total testosterone while the RE bout significantly increased muscle AR mRNA levels in older men (P<0.05). However, protein ingestion did not significantly affect AR mRNA or protein expression, or MGF and IGF-IEa mRNA expression at 1 and 48h post-RE. Immunohistochemical staining of muscle cross-sections was done with antibodies specific to AR and MyHC I and II and showed that there seems to be within or near the type-I muscle fibers a greater staining of ARs than within or near the type-II fibres. In conclusion, the protein ingestion hinders RE-induced increase in serum testosterone in older men but may not significantly affect muscle AR, MGF or IGF-IEa gene expression. Furthermore, the present study shows that even older men are able to increase muscle AR mRNA expression in response to a RE bout.

Comments

Charles R. said…
Wow. That is a little hard to figure.

Being an old guy, who lifts weights, eats protein, and would like to maximize testosterone, I really would like one of the really smart people who read this site to chime in on this...
Chris said…
I agree....

how about Stephan?
Anonymous said…
there must be other ways to create young and supple look to older guys muscles, besides increasing testos unnaturally. i've noticed right amount of baby fat + a little thicker elastic skin gives that young fresh look.
Anonymous said…
muscletrek, and how is that achieved? :)

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...