Skip to main content

Salt: good or bad?


I thought this was interesting. I do not add salt to my food in general - I don't really like it. I suppose I've also had a view that excess salt is unhealthy .

This study casts doubt on that idea....

New study casts further doubt on risk of death from higher salt intake

May 15, 2008 – (BRONX, NY) – Contrary to long-held assumptions, high-salt diets may not increase the risk of death, according to investigators from the Albert Einstein College of Medicine of Yeshiva University. They reached their conclusion after examining dietary intake among a nationally representative sample of adults in the U.S. The Einstein researchers actually observed a significantly increased risk of death from cardiovascular disease (CVD) associated with lower sodium diets. They report their findings in the advance online edition of the Journal of General Internal Medicine.
The junkfood science blog had a good post on this subject last year: Salt Shaking News

Comments

Ronald Pottol said…
If you have sodium sensitive hypertension (about 10% of the population world wide (30% in slave descended American blacks, probably because conditions were so awful on slave ships that the resistance it gives to dehydration was a major survival edge)), you may well need to watch your salt intake, or as a friends cardiologist said, "If your cardiologist tells you to watch your salt intake, do so, otherwise, don't worry about it".

You should just pee out excess salt.
Debs said…
I've seen other sources that agree salt intake probably isn't detrimental. Interesting that lower sodium diets produced a stronger association with CVD! I wonder whether salt is a protective factor or if people on low-sodium diets were drawn to eating something unhealthy to make up for the lack of salt.

I wonder too if part of salt's bad reputation has to do with the kind of food that's typically over-salted, at least in America. Salt covers up rancid flavors and poor quality ingredients, becoming the dominant flavor itself. Really salty fast foods are terrible for you, but it's not because of the salt.

I try to use just enough salt to bring out the flavor and no more, but not because I'm worried it's a risky ingredient. I do that because a lot of salt, like a lot of spice, affects your taste buds in such a way that you begin to need the salt to taste the food more than you would otherwise.

Food Is Love
Unknown said…
Sodium is one of the primary electrolytes in the body. All four cationic electrolytes "sodium, potassium,
magnesium, and calcium" are available in unrefined salt, as are other vital minerals needed for optimal bodily
function. Too much or too little salt in the diet can lead to muscle cramps, dizziness, or even an electrolyte
Disturbance, which can cause severe, even fatal, neurological problems.

-------------------------
hesslei...........

social network advertising

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...