Friday, June 13, 2008

The West Highland Way race


This is a bit different for this blog, but I thought I'd point to one of the blogs that I read regularly. Called My Training for the WHW Race 2008 it details the preparations of John K as he gets ready for this ultra race.

The race happens next weekend along the West Highland Way - Scotland's most popular long distance footpath which stretches from the outskirts of Glasgow up to Fort William in the shadow of Ben Nevis, through some great mountain scenery.

Walkers tend to do the route in about 6 days. Not bad for its 95 miles.

The runners take around 21 hours! The record is unbelievable:

The current male record holder is Jez Bragg from Solihull with a time of 15:44:50 set on 24 June 2006. The female record holder is Lucy Colquhoun with a time of 17:16:20 set in 2007.

John's planned times are as follows:

95 miles in 21:19. Amazing.


John is a great guy and while I'm not personally convinced that this race is healthy, I am in total admiration for these guys.

Good luck John.

1 comment:

John Kynaston said...

Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog and for mentioning my blog to your readers!

The race is less than a week away now and I'm really looking forward to it!

Having trained for the past 6months with this race in mind it's feels so close now.

I'll be visiting your blog to read more.

John