I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January". I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol. A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic. As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure. There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly. I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful. But over time, one glass became two. Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle. A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...
.......interesting things about fitness, strength, diet and performance.
Comments
Fell running! I've done two hill races here in Scotland and they were tough. The climb was bad enough but the run down hill was amazing; the top guys just seemed to take the brakes off and launch themselves down. It is a very specialist skill.
Mountain Athlete is a good site to explore, as is Gym Jones - the link is on the right.
Scotland has some great hill races - I had ambitions to do Ben Nevis at one point (hard to get into because there's a 500-person limit) but my conversion from endurance exercise ocurred before I got round to it. The fell running culture in the lakes has some great history - the Bob Graham Round is a challenge whereby you must ascend 42 peaks in under 24 hours. The best time is about 14 hours. This is a phenomenal echievement when you consider the heights and distances involved!