Skip to main content

Posture - ageless spine


I recently posted about Esther Gokhale's excellent book - 8 Steps to a pain free back.

One of the commenters pointed to a similar book - Ageless Spine - by Kathleen Porter. This is another excellent book, which has a very similar argument to that of Esther's book. The idea is to regain a natural posture, with your spine properly supporting your body. In some ways it is a little more easy to read and understand but both books are excellent.





Here is a video of Kathleen explaining more:




and......here is this knowledge in practice (thanks Davie)

Comments

Anonymous said…
the stuff you've been doing on posture lately is fascinating ... thanks!
Chris said…
Cheers

I find it fascinating too
Anonymous said…
Her own alignment does not look too great!
Anonymous said…
Hi Chris,

Glad you enjoyed the book I suggested. I think Ms. Porter also has a DVD I am going to check out.

IME, hands-on instruction is best, DVD next, and then text to address subtle fine points.

Stay aligned :-)

Eddie
Chris said…
Eddie

thanks for suggesting Porter's book it is superb.

I've not been able to find her DVD. If you do, please let me know

Chris
Anonymous said…
Hi Chris,

I think I am somewhat askew in my attribution. If you see here: http://www.balancecenter.com/video.htm there is a video covering the Porter material, but it may (I'm not sure,) have been done in whole or in part by Jean Couch, a yoga teacher. I think that Ms. Couch and Ms. Porter are closely aligned, (groans at bad pun,) in their professional, posture related work. www.balancecenter.com HTH.

All the best,

Eddie
Chris said…
Thanks Eddie.

By the way I emailed Esther to see what see thought of Porter's book. Apparently they were both influenced by the work of Noelle Perez and Kathleen's teacher Jean Couch studied with Esther for about a year.
Anonymous said…
Yes Chris, I noticed the commonality of original influence, (of Couch, Gokhale, Porter, ) by Ms.Perez.

I imagine Ms. Perez, of whom I know very little, must be that sort of brilliant innovator who notices what should be obvious, but is for the most part "hidden in plain sight," and interprets it and makes it accessible for us "mere mortals," LOL.

With her work on postures in less industrialized cultures, I saw Ms. Perez and now Gokhale, Porter, Couch and those that follow, as being to posture and gait, what WestonPrice.org is to nutrition.

Enjoy, and keep walking those beautiful hills : - )

Eddie
Chris said…
Eddie - that is an interesting thought. The idea that this approach to posture is almost a paleo diet template, or as you say perhaps more Weston Price in that the genesis was in the observation of traditional cultures. Interesting.


Thinking about walking - and today was a beautiful day here in Scotland - I must admit that I'm almost over analysing my gait at them moment. I've definitely started to stand differently with the hips back a bit and I keep thinking about my posture and gait....

Gokhale has also said she's planning some You Tube instructions videos so I'll look forward to them.

Thanks again for the comments.
Anonymous said…
Any opinions on negative heel shoes? The origin of these shoes also begin with posture of native people.

http://www.earthshop.com.au/origins.html
L. Wu said…
Nice... I've actually been using nervous system range-of-motion biofeedback to optimize posture and it seems to confirm what Esther Gokhale teaches (I've studied with her and her studio personally).

Leslie, ultitraining.com
Chris said…
Leslie - I am jealous. I would love to have the opportunity to train with Esther.
susan said…
i've been taking some classes locally that are taught from the same perspective, and boy is it a challenge for me, with my naturally swayed back.

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...