Skip to main content

Short bouts of brisk walking.....

Another interesting new study.

People need to be encouraged to be active. Some people are put off exercise because they might find it hard to find the time for say a 30 minute workout. (I think everyone can find the time for a 30 minute walk but....) However 10 separate 3 minute walks are just as good at giving certain health benefits....

Accumulating short bouts of brisk walking reduces postprandial plasma triacylglycerol concentrations and resting blood pressure in healthy young men


Background: Physical activity recommendations promote the accumulation of aerobic activity in bouts of 10 min. It is important to determine whether shorter bouts of activity can influence health.

Objective: We compared the effects of accumulating ten 3-min bouts of brisk walking with those of one 30-min bout of brisk walking on postprandial plasma triacylglycerol concentrations and resting blood pressure.

Design: Fifteen healthy young men completed three 2-d trials 1 wk apart in a randomized, repeated-measures design. On day 1, subjects rested (no exercise) or walked briskly in either ten 3-min bouts (30 min rest between each) or one 30-min bout (gross energy expenditure: 1.10 MJ/30 min). On day 2, subjects rested and consumed high-fat test meals for breakfast and lunch.

Results: On day 2 area under the plasma triacylglycerol concentration over time curve was 16% lower on the accumulated and continuous brisk walking trials than on the control trial ( ± SEM: 9.98 ± 0.67 compared with 9.99 ± 0.76 compared with 11.90 ± 1.02 mmol·7h/L, respectively; P = 0.005, one-factor ANOVA). Resting systolic blood pressure was 6–7% lower throughout day 2 on the accumulated and continuous trials than on the control trial (109 ± 1 compared with 110 ± 1 compared with 117 ± 2 mm Hg, respectively; P < 0.0005).

Conclusion: Accumulating 30 min of brisk walking in short (3-min) bouts is equally effective in reducing postprandial lipemia and systolic blood pressure as is one continuous 30-min bout.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...