Skip to main content

Stretching...guess what

Guess what.....another study says that before and after physical activity does not appreciably reduce all-injury risk. (but it might make you less sore) Of course I've pointed similar studies out before.


A pragmatic randomised trial of stretching before and after physical activity to prevent injury and soreness.



OBJECTIVE: To determine the effects of stretching before and after physical activity on risks of injury and soreness in a community population.
DESIGN: Internet-based pragmatic randomised trial conducted between January 2008 and January 2009.
SETTING: International.
PARTICIPANTS: 2,377 adults who regularly participated in physical activity.
INTERVENTIONS: Participants in the stretch group were asked to perform 30-second static stretches of 7 lower limb and trunk muscle groups before and after physical activity for 12 weeks. Participants in the control group were asked not to stretch. Main outcome measurements: Participants provided weekly on-line reports of outcomes over 12 weeks. Primary outcomes were any injury to the lower limb or back, and bothersome soreness of the legs, buttocks or back. Injury to muscles, ligaments and tendons was a secondary outcome.
RESULTS: Stretching did not produce clinically important or statistically significant reductions in all-injury risk (HR = 0.97, 95% CI 0.84 to 1.13), but did reduce the risk of experiencing bothersome soreness (mean risk of bothersome soreness in a week was 24.6% in the stretch group and 32.3% in the control group; OR = 0.69, 95% CI 0.59 to 0.82). Stretching reduced the risk of injuries to muscles, ligaments and tendons (incidence rate of 0.66 injuries per person-year in the stretch group and 0.88 injuries per person-year in the control group; HR = 0.75, 95% CI 0.59 to 0.96).
CONCLUSION: Stretching before and after physical activity does not appreciably reduce all-injury risk, but probably (that is not a very scientific word!) reduces the risk of some injuries, and does reduce the risk of bothersome soreness.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I went through all the stretching posts on this site and understand that stretching before performance is bad. Stretching to alleviate pain may or may not work.

My question is what is your strategy for dealing with tight muscles (specifically hamstrings and hip flexors)? Stretching at the end of the day or something else?

thanks.
Chris said…
Personally I still think that there is some value to stretching muscles that are too tight. It is indiscriminate stretching that may be a problem.

It is not for warm up or preparation for exercise, but it is potentially of value for treating tight muscles to balance posture etc. Then again I also think a lot of tightness is derived from psychological tension.
You can find plenty of studies indicating that atletes with more mobile joints (especially hips and shoulders) have lower rates of injury.

Stretching as a means of warm-up or cool down isn't worthwhile. Stretching to increase mobility in areas that tend to be injury prone almost certainly is.
Mike T Nelson said…
I would sub in mobility work for static stretching or at min use dynamic drills instead.

Rock on
Mike T Nelson
PhD(c),CSCS, RKC, ZMT
http://www.extremehumanperformance.com

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...