Skip to main content

West Highland Way Race

Each year some lunatics race the West Highland Way, a 95 mile trail that goes from Glasgow to Fort William through the West Highlands of Scotland.

This years race was held last Saturday and it was fascinating reading the accounts of some of the runners.

John Kynaston has a great blog detailing is preparation for the race and it was good to read that he once again managed to complete the course in under 20 hours. I am not sure if it is a healthy pursuit, but it is some achievement!

There is another account of the race here.

I have walked bits of the route and could not imagine the endurance that these guys have to run it!

Comments

John Kynaston said…
Thanks(I think!)Chris.

The whw race is an amazing event and the family of people who do would be quite happy with your description!!

You were only 3mins out with your guess!

John
Methuselah said…
Can't remember if I've mentioned this before, but the Bob Graham Round in the Lakes is a pretty gruelling challenge, although not quite as far...
Chris said…
Hi there Methuselah

I read a good book the other year about a guy doing the "Bob Graham Feet in the Clouds". Fascinating.

There is a similar challenge in scotland too - the Ramsay round which is another amazing feat of endurance.

http://www.carnethy.com/ci_newsletter/art_wj_ramsay_2008.htm
Methuselah said…
Chris - great book! I think that's how I came to know about the Bob Graham in the first place. Ramsey round looks comparable actually. Bit more than I would ever be up for!
Chris said…
3 mins!

I'll do better next year!

Fantastic performance John. (from another Everton fan exiled in Scotland)

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...