Skip to main content

Old and in hospital.....it is better to be fat!

Carrying on the theme thinking about age, this has just been published which I thought was interesting.

For old people in hospital, it is actually better for them to be fatter.

Fat mass protects hospitalized elderly persons against morbidity and mortality

Background: It is well established that the combination of protein-energy malnutrition and low body mass index (BMI) increases the risk of death in elderly patients, but recent studies indicate that the risk of death may decrease with higher body weight. However, these studies did not perform direct, separate, and reliable measurements of fat and lean mass by using a reference technique.

Objective: Our objective was to evaluate the relation between body composition, based on the 4-compartment model, and morbidity and mortality in hospitalized elderly patients.

Design: This prospective study enrolled 125 elderly patients evaluated at admission for body composition on the basis of BMI plus fat mass, lean mass, appendicular skeletal muscle mass, and body cell mass indexes (calculated as the ratio of the mass to the square of the height) measured by X-ray absorptiometry and bioelectrical impedance analysis. Outcomes were assessed 6 mo later by using a score system that takes into account complications (pressure ulcers and/or infections) and 6-mo mortality.

Results: The fat mass index correlated positively (r = 0.19 and P = 0.023 adjusted for sex; r = 0.18 and P = 0.043 adjusted for sex, albuminemia, and C-reactive protein) with outcome score (1: death, 2: complications, 3: no complications). There was no significant correlation between outcome score and BMI, lean mass, appendicular skeletal muscle mass, and body cell mass indexes.

Conclusions: This study clearly indicates that the generally accepted rule that overweight is associated with morbidity and mortality does not apply to hospitalized elderly patients, for whom fat mass is associated with a decreased risk of adverse events.

Comments

Anonymous said…
You can read up about Obesity paradoxes here:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rlz=1C1GPMD_enUS323US323&q=site:junkfoodscience.blogspot.com+obesity+paradox&aq=f&oq=&aqi=
Interesting study. Having had 5 relatives in their 80s-90s spend some time in the hospital over the past 10 years, I can definitely understand why this is: the minute they were hospitalized all 5 quit eating.
1) An act of defiance - asserting control over the last part of their lives that they could still control.
2) The meds they were taking reduced appetite.
3) Embarrassment over having to wear a diaper and be changed, so nothing in = nothing out.
Add to that the fact that the hospital food was pretty terrible and it makes sense to me that folks with more fat reserves do better.
Billy Oblivion said…
In addition to the stuff that sff makes, hospital routines are AWFUL. Patients, who are by definition sick or injuried, are woken up a couple times a night to get their "vitals" (if a good nights sleep is very important for recovering from a workout, what is it for recovering from a broken hip or MSRA?) or to give them medications?

I'm a big fan of our health care system--given it's various inputs (lazy disinterested people etc.) it's outputs are pretty good.

But there ARE things it could do better.

Oh, and I've worked in hospital food kitchens a couple times in my youth, and yeah, the food is AWFUL.

BLAND BLAND BLAND.
Alexandra said…
Where do you go with a study like this? Possibly address the problem of the morbidity rate? Did this study need to be done for that?

This study baffles me.

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...