Skip to main content

Stick to the basics...


Some of Rannoch's comments on recent posts have got me thinking.

He is right. So much of what you read is written as if the average trainee is an elite athlete training for the national championships.

In general that is not true. Most of us are just average guys wanting to keep fit and healthy. We want to be better than average but we also are not elite.

We do not need the routines of the champions. We need to move more, to do the basics and get better at basic movements.

Here are the comments, which are worth a post of their own:

On Craig Ballantyne

Whilst CB's sales pitch is relentless, here offers simple effective methods for average people. And this is the key.

You talk about training enrgy systems and training geared towards specific activities. well I am afraid that applies to a very small percentage of folks out there. In fact ,if I were to identify one thing that stops people making progress it is trying to adhere to routines and protocols that are beyond the average persons reach.

Most people don't have a basic foundation from which to build general fitness and well-being, yet they gravitate to the programs offered in the fitness mags that promise radical results in 28 days.

In truth, the average person will seem greater returns from a simple bodyweight program, done consistently with intensity.

If you are not an athlete, the fastest route to injury and over training is to train like one.

Think general, think foundation. Once you have that nailed we can talk specifics.

On functional training

Good stuff as always Chris. The danger here is we are entering into high performance territory. For those looking to shave milliseconds or add millimetres, the devil really is in the details.

The sports scholarship culture in the US has created an entire industry round perfromance measurement. As a result everyone is under the microscope. In turn these measures become an industry standard of sorts.

But for the other 99% looking to improve their pick up basket ball game,hit the pads a little harder or simply be fit for purpose we will always come back to the general stuff. If for no other reason than it leaves us time to do the specific activity we choose.


Basics are only boring if you can't do them. Otherwise they are the key so sophisticated performance. That is the irony.

People sweat bullets trying to do a one arm push up when they don't have the physical control to do 30 crisp regular push ups. Master the later and the the former becomes possible.

Martial arts is another tgreat example. People get bored so they look for novelty. then they wonder why a guy with nothing more than a solid jab can run rings around them.

There is nothing without foundation.

If you are not getting results, chances are you just aren't training the basics consistently and hard enough.
Marc also commented:

Our teacher always told people that what you saw him do is just the basics/foundation executed very very well. He would then say in his broken english, all of you stink because your basics still stink ;-)


(By the way, my interview with Rannoch is here)

Comments

Natural Athlete said…
Very true but there is an industry devoted to selling people new excercises machines etc. How many magazines can you sell how many articles can you write telling people the same stuff. Move your body, lift heavy stuff, eat food(not food products), focus on the sports you enjoy, certainly works but it ain't new it ain't sexy and it requires time and effort. Thats a hard combo to sell. But if you'll step over here I have magic machine that can give you six pack abs in just 3 minutes a day.
Craig B. said…
This is all good stuff- why I like Rannoch! I've been training a few people for some months now, and it's STUPID level basics that make the most difference. Pushups, pullups, presses, deads, planks, swings. The rest is minor dysfunction and de-programming. Often the hardest part is getting people to put on the brakes. Most want it all, now, and what they do precludes them from having the half of it, ever.

Thanks for compiling those!
Marc said…
Chris,

I have stopped teaching martial arts, but I still practice almost daily for about 10-15 minutes. Guess what I do? I do the exercises (the basics) that are shown to beginning students.

Cheers and have a great weekend.

Marc
Michael said…
So much of what you read is written as if the average trainee is an elite athlete training for the national championships.

In general that is not true. Most of us are just average guys wanting to keep fit and healthy. We want to be better than average but we also are not elite.


Yes this is sooooooooooooo true. Everything is geared toward elite level performance when this is not where the masses are hanging out.

The basics done consistently over a long period of time will provide great results for 99% of the people.

Michael
Nutrition and Physical Regeneration
Yavor said…
Very refreshing post and comments. Fundamentals and simplicity yield results. But authors fall in the trap that the fitness mags are caught in - having to come up with new stuff weekly/monthly...

Cheers,

Yavor
Michael - TFLA said…
So too often I see the same thing in my gym. Guys trying the latest fad exercises which are usually of the isolation variety when in reality they should be concentrating and mastering the basic movements. Good post!

Mike

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...