Skip to main content

you don't have to move fast to develop enhanced explosive capability

Just to add to the controversy

Effects of strength training with eccentric overload on muscle adaptation in male athletes

The enhanced eccentric load apparently led to a subtly faster gene expression pattern and induced a shift towards a faster muscle phenotype plus associated adaptations that make a muscle better suited for fast, explosive movements.
So the negatives - not "fast" moves - worked towards making the athletes faster....

Comments

Bryce said…
Damn you, Chris, for your mind-grenades!

heh. Perhaps I'll be called "impure" by members of both camps, but recently I've been incorporating fast concentrics and very slow eccentrics to reap the benefits both have to offer. While a HIT exponent might suggest I'm deloading the muscle with momentum, I find that if the loading is right, then by the last rep, my "fast" concentrics become slow because the muscle is so fatigued, even though I'm trying to move as fast as I can.

Thanks for influencing my thinking on all of this.
Neal W. said…
Micro changes don't always manifest at a macro level.
Chris said…
Bryce

thanks for the comment.

Interesting isn't it. When you reach failure you are moving as fast as you can anyway....but not moving
Chris said…
This is another interesting one

http://soccer.xkorangecounty.com/news.php?viewStory=4383

do a google on Athletic Quickness too. Speed via isometrics.
Daniel said…
Isn't it known basic physiology that it's the eccentric and NOT the concentric that causes the most muscle damage and resultant strength gains? It goes against what seems logical, but it's true. I also concentrate a bit more on the eccentric in my workouts.

The issue would be to how to have a heavier relative load on the eccentric than the concentric (I'm not really going to worry about it). Seems that could only be done with a machine and impossible to do with free weights. Is there a machine that does such a thing? I know there are eccentric machines, but they then unload the muscle during the concentric.
Steven Low said…
Yeah, muscle damage is mostly in the eccentric. If you want more information google the 'popping sarcomere' theory.

I read a study a little while back on influence of muscle growth with eccentrics. The ones that stimulated the biggest type II fiber gains were actually very fast eccentrics with heavy overload. Basically, I think they compared 180 degrees of motion eccentrics in 1 second vs. 5ish seconds (IIRC) and 1 second covering 180 degrees showed bigger gains in type II fibers than the slower eccentric.

It was pretty interesting stuff to say the least. I may go back and try to find it if I have some time.
Mike T Nelson said…
Steven,

I have seen those studies and I think (would have to look at the studies again) it may be related to the higher forces generated by a faster eccentric.

Chris (and others)
Great study!!! I have wondered about this for awhile since when teaching plyos or any new movement, you need to concentrate on learning how to land/decelerate first.

Your brain is so smart that it will NOT allow you to generate say a vertical jump force that may induce injury on the way down (eccentric portion).

Ecc Overload without machines
You can do this with weight releasers

Rock on
Mike T Nelson PhD(c)
Extreme Human Performance

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...