Skip to main content

Lose Weight - Cut the carbs...

This is fantastic.....hat tip to Richard



Low carb diets used to be prescribed by doctors! I love the way there were no qualms then about calling people fat

Comments

Anonymous said…
but still, in the end of the video, the emphasis is being put on the sheer amount of food and not on macronutrient ratio which somehow contradicts advice to reduce sugars and starches given in the beginning

but, yes, personal experience proves that you still have to watch calories even following a low carb regime
ShemaFForash said…
anti carbs guys can say whatever they want but if you want to lose real fat, you have to count your calories, thats all, the only weight that you lose when you restrict carbs are water not fat, ONLY THE CALORIC DEFICIT MAKE YOU LOSE FAT!
Chris said…
There is no need to shout Mike. No point in discussing things with you either by the look of it.
Mr. Fribbles said…
Mike said:

<>

Wow...I've lost over 20 lbs. of water, then? Strange, I'm not thirsty...

<>

I trust you mean with the intent to reduce caloric intake, or maintain a low caloric intake. But are you saying one can eat 100% carbs and lose weight? At least reasonably?

Do you disagree with the science that demonstrates the effect of carbs on insulin levels, and the effect of insulin levels on metabolism? Namely, high insulin leads to fat storage?
Sue said…
Video was great and

MIKE - when you restrict the sugars and starches its easier to achieve a caloric deficit.
Asclepius said…
Mike - if you reduce 'calories in' then your body will reduce 'calories out'. They are not independent variables. (Read GCBC).

You should think of this at the cellular level. If the cells cannot access one's fat stores (due to high levels of insulin in the bloodstream), then your body will have to do one of two things - make you eat more, or, make you lethargic (ie so you burn energy commensurate with this lowered energy level).

Needless to say, reducing insulin levels provides an ACCESSIBLE energy source that the cells can sequester as needed. Fat loss is about hormonal changes. The subsequent changes in energy consumption and usage are downstream of this hormonal change.
Mike T Nelson said…
Good stuff man!

While low carb diets works, fewer calories coming in vs going out is the basis of all diets.

I like the idea of metabolic flexibility that your body should be able to shift fuel sources from carbs to fat and back forth in an efficient manner.

If you believe we are survival based (which I do), then this is a great survival mechanism too.

rock on
Mike T Nelson PhD(c)
Extreme Human Performance
Anonymous said…
Great video. Losing weight the intelligent way has never been so easy. When it comes to weight loss, everybody looks for immediate results to lose weight quickly. Eating carbs and loosing weight, seems very interesting.

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...