Skip to main content

Back on Creatine

That post the other day on creatine got me thinking about it again. I had not taken it for about a year or so. It usually makes me gain a bit of weight but also gives me cramps.

The research seems to indicate that it is safe and effective with lots of benefits apart from those related to sports performance.

I found some of the comments on the Heart Scan Blog post about creatine to be interesting - lost of positive testimony.

The comment to this blog about the benefit in terms of muscle soreness was timely too. I've been very sore after a Krav Maga session this week!

Anyway I am taking creatine again (despite what I wrote here) for a while to see how it goes.

(Update, Mike points out other recent research)

Comments

Mike said…
Good stuff, Chris; the post the other day about inhibiting oxidative was stress was interesting---I had seen that one yet.

I did a post about a creatine study and it's glycogen sparing effects a few days back that you might be interested in:
http://confessionsofacrossfitcoach.blogspot.com/2010/01/creatine-take-2-50lbs-of-beef-and-using.html
Chris said…
Thanks Mike - I'll take a look
Ty said…
The common idea about creatine is to take approx 5 grams daily. I, however, have only been taking creatine after my workouts which currently is a whole body weights routine twice a week. I have been getting good results from this method.

I really don't think you need as much creatine as popular opinion says. Maybe a lower doseage like this will help with the side effects?
donny said…
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3890/is_200404/ai_n9360539/

I ran across something on a social anxiety forum about an association between homocysteine and anxiety. One of the treatments the poster had come across for high homocysteine was creatine.

"Each day, the average individual loses, depending on muscle mass, 10 to 15 millimoles of creatine due to spontaneous degradation to creatinine. Biosynthesis of creatine, to replace that loss, involves two enzyme-catalyzed reactions. In the first reaction, the amidino group of arginine is transferred to glycine, forming guanidinoacetate and ornithine. In the second reaction, a methyl group is transferred from SAM to guanidinoacetate to form creatine and S-adenosylhomocysteine (SAH). SAH is subsequently hydrolyzed to adenosine and Hcy, thus generating one molecule of Hcy for each molecule of creatine synthesized. It has been estimated that creatine biosynthesis could potentially account for up to 75% of daily Hcy production"

Maybe some of the problem with high homocysteine levels isn't with the presence of the substance itself, it's accused of oxidizing ldl cholesterol, for example-- but as a marker showing that the body isn't keeping up well with production of creatine, or some other important substance.
Anonymous said…
Hi Chris,
Its about 3 weeks back on the creatine, are you seeing much benefit so far?
matt
Chris said…
Effects? I think my muscles look fuller and I feel stronger - subjectively. Objectively I am not especially stronger.

A problem is that I've been injured with a back spams over the last 2 weeks so I am not sure what is really going on.

The creatine has disturbed my digestion a bit too. On an empty stomach it has lead to very loose stools so I am making sure to take it after meals only.
Anonymous said…
Cheers, last couple of weeks Ive been trying the Muscletech Creakic (which I'm pretty sure is just Creatine - although in a shiney container so more pricey).
I'll only take it after food and on workout days (Weight training and Muay Thai), I have noticed a difference with the weights, particularly pushing through some heavy stuff, often get a surge of power through the toughest part of the lifts. Not always so it maybe placebo, but so far so good.
matt

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...