Skip to main content

More health benefits for a low carb diet - protection against mitochondrial mallfunction

Here is another one to think about with respect to the protective aspects of a low carb / primal / paleo diet (I know it is mice and we are not mice....but still worth thinking about):

Ketogenic diet slows down mitochondrial myopathy progression in mice

Mitochondrial dysfunction is a major cause of neurodegenerative and neuromuscular diseases of adult age and of multisystem disorders of childhood. However, no effective treatment exists for these progressive disorders. Cell culture studies suggested that ketogenic diet, with low glucose and high fat content, could select against cells or mitochondria with mutant mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA), but proper patient trials are still lacking. We studied here the transgenic Deletor mice, a disease model for progressive late-onset mitochondrial myopathy, accumulating mtDNA deletions during aging and manifesting subtle progressive respiratory chain deficiency. We found that these mice have wide-spread lipidomic and metabolite changes, including abnormal plasma phospholipid and free amino acid levels and ketone body production. We treated these mice with presymptomatic long-term and post-symptomatic shorter term ketogenic diet. The effects of the diet for disease progression were followed by morphological, metabolomic and lipidomic tools. We show here that the diet decreased the amount of cytochrome-c-oxidase negative muscle fibers, a key feature in mitochondrial respiratory chain deficiencies, and prevented completely the formation of the mitochondrial ultrastructural abnormalities in the muscle. Furthermore, most of the metabolic and lipidomic changes were cured by the diet to wildtype levels. The diet did not, however, significantly affect the mtDNA quality or quantity, but rather induced mitochondrial biogenesis and restored liver lipid levels. Our results show that mitochondrial myopathy induces widespread metabolic changes, and that ketogenic diet can slow down progression of the disease in mice. These results suggest that ketogenic diet may be useful for mitochondrial late-onset myopathies.

Comments

Donny said…
http://people.csail.mit.edu/seneff/alzheimers_statins.html

APOE-4: The Clue to Why Low Fat Diet and Statins
may Cause Alzheimer's
by Stephanie Seneff

Have you seen this essay? I think it deserves some attention. This section got my attention;

--------------------------------
Amyloid-beta (also known as "abeta") is the substance that forms the famous plaque that accumulates in the brains of Alzheimer's patients. It has been believed by many (but not all) in the research community that amyloid-beta is the principal cause of Alzheimer's, and as a consequence, researchers are actively seeking drugs that might destroy it. However, amyloid-beta has the unique capability of stimulating the production of an enzyme, lactate dehydrogenase, which promotes the breakdown of pyruvate (the product of anaerobic glucose metabolism) into lactate, through an anaerobic fermentation process, with the further production of a substantial amount of ATP.
---------------------------

So maybe interventions that lower amyloid plaque by lowering the resistance to its effects on lactate metabolism would be protective, while simply blocking its production would be dangerous.

According to Dr Bernstein, amyloid is also put out by the pancreas when insulin is produced, and reduces hunger for carbohydrate. He sometimes prescribes the drug Amylin to deal with this.

If it promotes the proper use of carbohydrate, this makes sense; constant glycolysis followed by gluconeogenesis being a rather inefficient way to produce the energies of life.

http://endo.endojournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/en.2008-0770v1

"Amylin-Mediated Restoration of Leptin Responsiveness in Diet-Induced Obesity: Magnitude and Mechanisms"

I've come to believe that the most important function of leptin is ensuring the availability of ketone-family metabolites to tissues like the brain that need them. Leptin normally decreases the appetite for carbohydrate; a person deficient in the ability to use lactic acid might be expected to be resistant to this effect; brain cells need glucose, or ketones, or lactic acid; if they can't use lactic acid, but enough glucose has been consumed to suppress ketosis, the paradoxical situation where consuming carbohydrate actually increases carbohydrate hunger instead of satisfying it might arise.
Unknown said…
First off, I love seeing new studies showing the new health benefits of low carb. I've been off all diabetes related meds for over 3 years now thanks to a low carb lifestyle. Check out my blog at http://ourlowcarblife.blogspot.com.
Secondly, Dr. Eva, the word is 'lose' not 'loose'.
buy cialis said…
Poor nutrition will produce a cellular malfunction which will produce a mitochondrial problem in cell reproduction and cell division. demonstrates this blog

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...