Skip to main content

A weekly session of negative only exercise has good effect....

here is one for the HIT boys: "only 30 min of eccentric exercise per week for eight weeks was sufficient to improve health risk factors".



A Weekly Bout of Eccentric Exercise Is Sufficient To Induce Health-Promoting Effects

Abstract
PURPOSE:: The effects of chronic eccentric-only versus concentric-only exercise on muscle physiology and blood biochemistry were investigated. METHODS:: Twenty women performed on an isokinetic dynamometer a concentric (n = 10, age 21.0+/-0.4 years, body fat 22.0+/-0.9%) or an eccentric (n = 10, age 20.0+/-0.3 years, body fat 23.2+/-0.7%) exercise session using the knee extensors of both lower limbs once a week for eight subsequent weeks. Muscle function (isometric, concentric and eccentric peak torque, range of movement and soreness) was evaluated before, immediately after and 48h postexercise in each one of the eight training weeks. Body fat, resting energy expenditure (REE), lipid and carbohydrate oxidation rate as well as blood chemistry measurements (lipid, lipoprotein and apolipoprotein profile, glucose, insulin, glycosylated hemoglobin and creatine kinase) were examined before and 48h post-exercise at the first and eighth week of training. RESULTS:: Acute eccentric exercise increased REE and fat oxidation at week 1 (12.7% and 12.9%, respectively) and at week 8 (0.7% and 2.8%, respectively). Chronic eccentric exercise increased resting REE and fat oxidation at week 8 compared to at week 1 (5.0% and 9.9%, respectively). Acute eccentric exercise improved blood lipid profile at week 1 and week 8. Chronic eccentric exercise improved resting blood lipid profile at week 8. Acute eccentric exercise increased insulin resistance at week 1 but not at week 8. Chronic eccentric exercise decreased resting insulin resistance at week 8. CONCLUSION:: It is reported for the first time that only 30 min of eccentric exercise per week for eight weeks was sufficient to improve health risk factors.

Comments

viagra online said…
Prefect because I'm a lazy man and this is the best thing I've heard because now I know I can do only 30 min to improve health risk factors.m10m

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...