Skip to main content

Quick Bursts of activity.....

 Is your job making you fat?

 Activity: From the 70's to now

Juneau and his colleagues used several Statistics Canada databases on the health of Canadians that included 17,000 to 132,000 respondents. He concluded that the lack of physical activity during office hours could explain the fact that obesity has increased 10 percent between 1978 and 2004.

A surprise findings was the increased healthy attitudes toward transportation. "As a result of urban sprawl we expected to see more car-dependant people," says Juneau. "Yet, both men and women increasingly adopted healthy behaviours such as walking and biking, which is definitely good news."

Quick bursts of activity may be the solution

Juneau suggests that to combat the inactivity and rise in obesity it would be best to integrate sport, work and transportation. For example, it may be more effective to exercise in smaller doses throughout the day rather than concentrate the effort. Therefore, walking at break time and taking the stairs could have great benefits.



Sounds like intervals....or Art DeVany style power law training.


Here is the abstract:

Trends in leisure-, transport-, and work-related physical activity in Canada 1994–2005


Background
In Canada, data show adults had a lower energy intake in 2004 than in 1972. Data also show adults expended more energy through leisure-time physical activity in 2000 than in 1981. On the other hand, the prevalence of overweight and obesity (combined) rose from 49.2% to 59.1% between 1978 and 2004.
Purpose
This study aimed to chart trends in leisure-, transport-, and work-related physical activity in Canada between 1994 and 2005.
Methods
We used nationally representative data from the three National Population Health Surveys (1994, 1996, and 1998) and the three Canadian Community Health Surveys (2000, 2003, and 2005) (a repeated cross-sectional design). Sample sizes ranged from n = 17 626 (in 1994) to n = 132 221 (in 2005).
Results
Between 1994 and 2005, men became less inactive during leisure time (− 9.94% [9.89%–9.98%]), less inactive during transports (− 15.31% [15.26%–15.35%]), and more inactive at work (+ 5.18% [5.14%–5.22%]). Similar results were found for women.
Conclusions
Declining levels of physical activity at work may help explain the rising prevalence of overweight and obesity in Canada.

Comments

Stephan Guyenet said…
Fascinating. It looks like total activity has increased during that time period.

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...