Skip to main content

Research on lumbar disc disease

Here is an interesting new study on lumbar disc disease - one cause of bad backs.

The whole study is avalable here

The results of this case-control study reveal a positive association between weight and lumbar disc herniation as well as lumbar disc narrowing among men and women. A medium amount of pack-years was associated with lumbar disc herniation and narrowing in men and women. A non-significantly lowered risk of lumbar disc disease was found in men with high levels of cumulative body building and strength training.

interesting to see the potential proteciton from "bodybuilding"

Comments

The excess weight especially in men where the added fat usually accumulates in the stomach and creates a shear force into the lumbar joints is not a big surprise. I think there needs to be much more control over what constitutes "bodybuilding" or "strength" training. You could "strength" train only one side of joint and it would increase the likelihood of lumbar disc degeneration...I guess what I'm getting at is it really depends on what exercises are being performed.
JamesSteeleII said…
Thanks for the link Chris. Hadn't picked that up yet. Hopefully I can sit down and have a read through it with tommorow mornings coffee in the office and then let you know my thoughts.
richardisiand said…
"A non-significantly lowered risk of lumbar disc disease", I am not sure if follows that that study supports the conclusion: "interesting to see the potential proteciton from "bodybuilding".

Anyway, thank you for putting together such an excellent blog.
Chris said…
that is why I said "potential"
JamesSteeleII said…
As with any epidemiological study we can't draw causation. Though I do think there is potentially merit in treating disc disease with specific exercise.

I think a more interesting finding (although still non significant) in this study is that endurance exercise decreased odds ratio at low volumes, supporting the notions of people like eyal ledermann that exercise in general is beneficial. Yet in both men and women in the highest exposure category odds ratio increased. In women it appeared to show a dose-response aswell.

Like I said, not significant but I am inclined to say that overtraining and overuse injury from high impact activity is the culprit here.
williebr said…
Kanata, you are right. They could've done 1,000 crunches per day, and if you believe Dr. McGill's work, that is probably a BIG negative.
JamesSteeleII said…
Chris,

For your reading pleasure,

http://jamessteeleii.blogspot.com/2010/10/overuse-injuries-to-lower-back-from.html

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...