Skip to main content

Paleo enough for me

I suppoe my diet is developing now towards avoiding toxins - mainly grains and beans - rather than being obsessively low carb paleo (much influence from the Perfect Health Diet) 

So this lunch at Le Sept was fine - Some sort of slow cooked beef stew with mashed tatties.   Great on a cold day.
I like Le Sept.  Great value.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Chris,
I'm also moving to the same approach. Still think sat fat is our best fuel, but adding a bit of "safe starch" and not going overboard with protein. Watching overall portions/calories with an eye towards leaning out.
Looks like a tasty stew!
Robert
Me too! I always found Nora Gedgaudas' argument about moderate protein compelling, so the Jaminets' ideas in Perfect Health on moderating both protein and carbs makes lots of sense to me.

Of course, I'm not running around trying to get to single percent bodyfat, nor trying to compete on whatever WOD there is.
Unknown said…
I believe there is something to reducing protein on a regular basis. Our bodies respond better when we break up our exercise routine. Perhaps it is the same with macronutrients.
Doug said…
I think this all makes sense as well. I still do lower carb, around 80g per day, but I go for those sources that are not from grains and pulses (legumes), and that are lower in fructose (keeping fruit intake under control) - getting my carbs mostly as glucose from tubers (sweet potatoes, yams, beets, carrots etc), and occaisonally rice.

Natural saturate fats rule! I love coconut milk, oil, etc..my HDL increased considerably after eating more
Marc said…
Chris,
I've never really laid off the potatoes (all varieties). Portions are important...just as protein portions are important.

I think a lot of folks primal/paleo/ef crowd eat to much protein. I think Paul Jaminet is on target with his protetin recomendations.

If you eat a lot of meat for a few days....take a break for the next day or two, I think that works fine too.
These things aren't complicated issues that we need to read research papers on...they are issues that our bodies naturally take care of themselves. We CAN and WILL loose those natural abilities when sadly for years we eat factory/chemical/processed food.

It bothers me a bit that people are sooo fanatic about it.

A vaiety of real whole foods and portions that don't leave you gasping for air seems to be a simple, user friendly and straight forward formula.

Just my 2 cents.

Marc
Richard said…
I'll do sweet potatoes or turnips as a replacement for white potatoes. But potatoes aren't something I've ever really craved, either. So I don't really see the benefit of adding them to my diet when I don't want to eat them.

My carbohydrates come mainly from fruit and I still lose weight and still feel awesome.
Anonymous said…
There's a lot to be said for timing higher carb days to coincide with exercise days.

When muscle glycogen stores are down, post workout, the body will naturally seek carbs and make better use of them.
williebr said…
As a former fattie, starchy stuff just doesn't work very well very often for me. Maybe extra starch post workout for gaining weight, but mostly just for weight gain.

Starch doesn't make me hungry like fruit however.


Chris,

How is it working for you in terms of fat loss?

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...