Skip to main content

Fight for your life


Erwan Le Corre had a quote on Twitter the other day:

"Run for your life". Could be jump, crawl, climb, swim, fight etc,... for your life. Moving naturally will make you feel strongly ALIVE.

That was an idea that he brought up in the clinic in Edinburgh  last month - that there are certain skills you need to develop, not for any reason other than for survival.  You may have to run for your life, jump for your life or crawl for your life.

You might also need to fight for your life.   Self defence / combatives are important skills in movnat which a lot of the people involved in the movement seem to forget.  In any case it is simple fun.

 
So I was back to Krav Maga tonight.  I've not been training much there for a while.  Last year was busy with work and various family problems.  This year though I want to be more regular in my attendance.

I could tell that I had been missing for a while.  In the warm up I had my ass kicked at a ladder of plyometric pushups....by a very fit girl - respect to Louise.   Then I was very rusty at just about everything.

It is skill development.  Learning techniques...punches, kicks, blocks.  It takes time, drills, repetition.  It is one of the things that has come up on this blog before - strength development is one thing, but you need to practice the skills to apply that strength.  They are different things:  strength and the application of it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...