Skip to main content

Get Hillfit

 It is really only relevant to UK readers, but I've had an article published in a hillwalking / backpacking magazine  - TGO - this month.  The article is called "Hillfit" and I have tried to synthesise some of the things I have been learning over the years and featuring in this blog - if you were to read the article you would spot the influences!  Frank Forencich, Doug McGuff, Erwan Le Corre and others.


An idea I was trying ot get across was of walking being a skill that we can develop and get better at.  We need to practice the skills of being a biped, key to which is balance on one leg.....because most walking is tie on one leg.  So I recommend simple balance work.

Then there is the HIT influence - you need to develop strength too.  So I recommend what are essentially superslow air squats (with more space in th article  I'd have had a pushup and a back bridge or body row in there too).   Then I also - for metabolic conditioning - propose a sprint session.

It is all very journalistic in style and doesn't dig too deep but it was fun to write and got me thinking!
 It was also a real discipline trying to write to an 800 word limit and necessarily I feel like I ended up skimming over things, so the whole piece is  a bit of a compromise. Still, I am really happy and excited to have got published like this and hope that I'll be able to write more for them in future. 

TGO has had a long term interest in lightweight backpacking and more unconventional gear so I tried to tap into that with a similarly minimalist / lightweight approach to training.....how to get the maximum return for minimum investment.   It boils down to some sprints, some  strength training and some basic  balance work.


It was funny how this opportunity came about.  I followed TGO via Twitter.  The editor must have checked me out and looked at my blogs and aksed me to write something.

The wonders of the interwebs!

Here is a photo that didn't make it into the mag - me putting a sock on while standing on one leg -  a basic balance training technique!   Or an opportunity to fall on your arse each morning.

Comments

Asclepius said…
Congratulations! I will check out this months edition of TGO.

I too try to stand one one leg to put socks on (and also to put on shoes/trainers, and even to tie my laces). It originated as a means to working my balance (although I am sure it only has limited spin-off to balance in general). But rather than turning my foot inwards, as you do the picture, I try to keep my shin perpendicular to the floor (and the base of my foot parallel to the floor). This seems slightly more difficult, and I think it works my abs a bit more - although I am not sure if it is any more worthwhile than your approach!
Chris said…
Congratulations on being published! I will get hold of a copy and check it out.

All the best,

Chris.
Chris G said…
Bought it yesterday! A good start Chris, a pity they couldnt give you another 700 words or so (especially when the CW nutritionist got 3 pages!) but hopefully that will give you the option of writing for them again. Maybe even an alternative career?

Congratulations on being published. Do keep us posted on any further articles.
Jeff said…
Hey Chris,

Congrats on the article!

Quick question. When you do air squats, have you ever tried them with one of those exercise balls between you and the wall? My new trainer has me do those as a warmup, and they are very challenging. By the eighth one or so there is a serious burn. I could easily see doing those with a dumbbell in each hand at home if I had no access to decent equipment in a gym.

jeff
Jeff said…
Forgot to add check to get email comments.
Anonymous said…
Congrats Chris!
Chris said…
Jeff

I have not tried squats like that but they would really hit the legs with less lower back.

Fred Fornicola in his dumbbell training book recommends them and Fred is a good knowledgeable HIT type guy (although he doesn't call himself HIT)
Chris said…
Asclepius - thanks

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...