Skip to main content

It is all about information

While I've been reading Art DeVany for years, I think that I have only just started to "get it" in some ways.   His book has helped - I thought initially that it was too dumbed down but there is some real wisdom in there.

Doug McGuff has also been important especially the talk from the 21 Convention that has been made available from Anthony.  I've posted it below.  This talk is vital stuff.  Take the time to watch it and think the implications through.

Anyway, I've been thinking back to my university courses in Economics.  One of the key things that they tried to teach us in microeconomics was the idea that PRICES ARE SIGNALS.  It is all abotu information.  The market reacts to signals and prices are one of those signals. It is all about information and the signals that are being received.

This is something that comes through very much in Art DeVany and Doug McGuff.  Your body reacts to signals.  Everything you do provides information to your body:
  • how you move
  • how you eat
  • how you sleep
It is all about signals, information being given to which your body reacts, adapts.

What signals are you sending by how you eat or move?   It isn't a workout...it is information you are providing, a signal to which your body will respond.

Anyway - here is Doug (interviewed here)   This DVD and others of equal quality from other great minds in the field are available here.


Comments

Asclepius said…
That idea of 'signalling and information' is very much consistent with my interpretation of ADVs work. Your link to Taleb's Fooled by Randomness contained this quote that really hit home with me:

"Classical thermodynamics produce Gaussian variations, while informational variations are from Extremistan. Let me explain. If you
consider your diet and exercise as a simple energy deficits and excesses, with a straight calorie-in, calorie-burned equation, you will fall into the trap of misspecifying the system into simple causal and mechanical links.
Your food intake becomes the equivalent of filling up the tank of your new BMW. If on the other hand you look at food and exercise as activating metabolic signals, with potential metabolic cascades and nonlinearities from network effects, and with recursive links, then welcome to complexity, hence Extremistan. Both food and workout
provide your body with information about stressor in the environment.
As I have been saying throughout, informational randomness is from
Extremistan. Medicine fell into the trap of using simple
thermodynamics, with the same physics-envy and with the same
mentality and the same tools as economists did when they looked at the economy as a web of simple links. And both are complex systems."

I like the fact that the paleo concept is evolving and becoming more 'evolution focused' rather than paleo navel-gazing. We are seeing change; carbohydrate is being reformed and dairy has a place in this brave new world. The same might even be happening with the 'paleo view' of exercise.

But the whole signalling/information paradigm championed above seems to be quite fertile ground and yet is largely ignored by the more scientifically inlined in the paleo crowd. In an adaptive biological system, you'd think that this would be THE crucial approach.
Asclepius said…
Another pithy observation from ADV on his forum:

"Do remember that IF does not restrict energy intake or food intake; it only varies the pattern to alter your metabolism."
Chris said…
Agreed - it is fascinating. Interesting that DeVany is an economist. As I noted economics is all about signalling within complex adaptive systems.
Anonymous said…
I think signals is a great way of viewing the body. Aside from external signaling (lifting a heavy weight) there's also internal signaling. For example, the fat cells signaling the brain with leptin. If that signal breaks down then the system (us) starts to break down.
Anonymous said…
It's a great presentation. But one thing Doug got wrong, was HFCS. It's just Fructose and Glucose without a bond, so it doesn't depend on sucrase activity.
Steven Sashen said…
The question I always wanted to ask Doug is: Well, what if I'm a sprinter and don't want to work on all 3 muscle types? I just want to focus on IIB.

Thoughts?
Chris said…
Why not just ask him? He usually responds to questions posted on his blog:

http://www.bodybyscience.net/home.html/?p=979

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...