Skip to main content

Not just for the geeks: DVDs from the Masters in the Exercise Field

I think I have quite a bit in common with Anthony. 

When I was 21 I was deep into Ayn Rand.  I'd worked my way through The Fountainhead and then Atlas Shrugged, marking the passages that I found particularly inspiring....John Galt's long speech.  I'd got there via Mike Mentzer - who had mentioned Rand in his interview with John Little.  Also I had been quite into Rush and their songs Anthem ("Live for yourself -- there's no one else more worth living for.") , Closer to the Heart  and the suite 2112 were inspired by Rand.

Well that was 22 yeas ago.....I'm still fascinated by exercise and philosophy although it is a while since I opened the Fountainhead.

Who is Anthony?

Anthony is the man behind the 21 Convention - a men's convention which while oringinally focussed on "pick up" has expanded into general self development.  Last year, he had as speakers:

  • Doug McGuff MD
  • Mark Sisson
  • Drew Baye
  • Bill DeSimone
If you have been around this blog for a while you will recognise that I am also a great fan of each of those people.  I have interviewed Doug, Drew and Bill while Mark has been a great inspiration.  Anthony has great taste!


Their  talks have now been released on DVD: The 21 Convention Exercise & Nutrition Mega Pack
  •  Each is a high quality presentation of about an hour in which the speaker goes into great detail  about their subject .  

  • Each does it with great clarity.  


I've read Doug McGuff's book several times and also interviewed him but sitting through his talk here I really began to connect the dots and really "get" some of this more deeply than before.

The DVDs are professionally produced and easy to sit through.  Highly recommended.

Anthony has gathered together some of the greatest minds in exercise today.  Each knows their stuff and - in their way - each stands against much conventional wisdom with some unique persepctive and integrity.




You get the full set for  $111.95 + Standard Shipping & Handling  or they are $19.99 each.  I got mine delivered to Scotland from the States within a week.  Good value and good service.

Comments

Anonymous said…
While I'm still a fan of AR, I think Anthony is marginalizing himself with his fanatic Objectivism. Something many of us went through. AR has a lot to say but the world is very complex.

Agree on McGuff and getting it. I consider myself "post-paleo" in that it informs my thoughts but I don't seek to recreate some imaginary diet.
Chris said…
I know what you mean. I am 43 now and while I appreciate how the integrity of Rand is attractive I am no longer a fanatic.
Rod said…
It's interesting Chris that you too will be in someones progression in understanding of how it all fits together.Your desemination of interesting bits is second to none.It's up to the young guys tp find the bits they need.
Looks like something that's well worth the low price.

I've been a fan of Mark Sisson for years and can vouch that what he has to say probably brings a lot of value.
Anonymous said…
The Drew Baye lecture is available online and is good, though not revolutionary. It looks like there were about 3 people in the audience
Anthony said…
It was difficult to get people to tune in that year (2009) to a new topic like HIT. Most simply didn't care, were tired, and used the speech as a break to recover from the event.

People were very tuned in this year to Doug, Mark, and Drews speech. Bill for some reason wanted to speak in the morning, and Sunday, the last day of the event. Needless to say a lot of people were not even awake yet.

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...