Skip to main content

the Hygiene Hypothesis

The whole paleo movement is very restricted in its view.  There is a desire to recreate in some way the paleo diet.  Attempts are made at mimicking the Palaeolithic milieu with respect to exercise and movement patterns too.

But we don't go that far.  Many ignore things like

  • posture
  • family
  • sleep
  • friends
  • stress
  • play


We are also too clean.

Scientists Discover That Antimicrobial Wipes and Soaps May Be Making You (and Society) Sick 

One of the thinkers that really inspires me - Frank Forencich of Exuberant Animal -  had a good piece pointing to similar ideas last year:

Dirt smart

But it’s more than just immunity. Two recent studies have found strong associations between dirt and mental performance. Mycobacterium vaccae is a natural soil bacterium that appears to increase cognitive performance in rodents, probably by affecting the serotonin system. It also appears to elevate mood, similar to the effect of an anti-depressant.



Comments

Panic Attacks said…
There are a lot of people who become obsessive compulsive when it comes to cleanliness. It could be because the fear of bacteria and viruses has been ingrained in our minds from constantly being bombarded with advertisements.
Aileen said…
Being an horticulturalist I love to hear this sort of thing! Thanks for the links.
John Sifferman said…
I think there's definitely something to "dirt time." Ironically enough, I was healthiest during the years when I worked in landscaping - spending 8-10 hours daily outdoors on residential and commercial properties. Obviously, there's more to it than just exposure, but I think it definitely played a role. I would be filthy by the end of each day, but it never bothered me. Nowadays, I'm more afraid of so-called cleaning agents more than I am of getting dirty in the outdoors.

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...