Skip to main content

Frowning

I spotted an interesting study today about frowning.

One of the things that I will be  writing about in my columns for TGO (a UK hillwalking magazine) is pace in hillwalking.

Talk Test

I've already mentioned the different metabolic / energy pathways.  It is all really simplified but in basic terms you either burn fat - virtually unlimited - or sugar, which is in limited supply.    Sugar needs more oxygen and burns dirty, producing lactic acid.  (I know this is all simplified too much).  In terms of endurance you need to stay aerobic / fat burning.  As you work harder the fat burning pathway can;t keep up - you do not take in enough oxygen, so you switch to sugar burning / anaerobic.  You will not be able to go for long, since you will run out of fuel and the muck produced by burning sugar will stop you.  Anaerobic - intense intervals etc - are good at making you more efficient and fitter, better at burning fat but they are for training, not long efforts.

So it is about pace.   Use a pace at which you can stay in the aerobic zone, burning fat not sugar.  you can use heart rate measures or respiratory quotient, but one simple way to assess where you are is via the "talk test".  Exercising at a pace in which you can hold a conversation is an indicator that you are still burning fat not sugar.

Frowning

There is another idea though, that of frowning.  I saw this study which says that frowning is an indicator of exercise intensity.  I wonder if there is any correlation between the onset of frowning and the aerobic threshold?

Comments

Anonymous said…
I studied up on the whole "nasal breathing" thing a while back, and my guess is that unless you are eating, talking or sprinting, you should keep your mouth shut...
And maybe (I have not done any research on my own of course, it's only an idea) it's a way of pacing yourself. When you are going at a pace that makes you feel that you need to open your mouth to breathe; you're going too fast.
What do you think?
Chris said…
Maybe and I remember Matt Metzgar had some good posts on nasal breathing. My problem is that I have a broken nose that never healed right so one of my nostrils is about 50% so it is hard for me to nasal breath.
Jules said…
I am here to disagree with Anon. Have you tried nasal only breathing during the winter? Let me tell you... you won't be doing it for long.

Personally, you either learn to run your aerobic pace by feel or use a HR monitor for help. Breathing thru the nose only limits your oxygen intake. I can see it useful for a recovery/easy jog type of pace, but I feel you'll be really missing out on the more beneficial high aerobic efforts that demands more oxygen thru the mouth.

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...