Skip to main content

The talk test.....

The Talk Test and its relationship with the ventilatory and lactate thresholds

Data showed that the Talk Test related best to the lactate threshold as compared to the ventilatory threshold

"Everybody's thought that the Talk Test related well to the ventilatory threshold," Quinn says. "And it does, to a certain degree. But different physiological phenomena occur at each threshold, and it is the phenomena associated with the lactate threshold that relate better to the different levels of the Talk Test."

Quinn says these findings on the relationship of the Talk Test to the lactate threshold make the Talk Test relevant to endurance athletes as well as beginning exercisers. "In order to enhance endurance performance, some training has to occur around the lactate threshold intensity level. When subjects in the study had difficulty talking, they were very close to that lactate threshold intensity. Because of this, athletes could gauge their intensity based on ability to talk comfortably."

"If you are beginning an exercise program and can still talk while you're exercising, you're doing OK," Quinn says. "But if you really want to improve, you've got to push a little bit harder."

Comments

Anonymous said…
But this is what we've known for a long time in using modified versions of the Borg scale such as this one for example:

http://exercise.about.com/cs/fitnesstools/l/blperceivedexer.htm
Chris said…
Cheers. I know - I've seen similar stuff before - do a google search for "talk test ventilatory " and you get a lot of research. I just wanted to put this up as a new bit of research.

There is some more fascinating stuff I am looking into about the perception of effort which I will write about soon. I've been emailing the researchers and they have some nice ideas e.g.

http://running.competitor.com/2010/09/features/want-to-run-better-say-“cheese”_14623
Matt Ovens said…
Interesting stuff. Thanks - Matt
Anonymous said…
Perception of effort is a funny thing, you have to train yourself to be able to try hard in the first place. I've been training some young cyclists and at the beginning of the season they couldn't keep up with me (52 years old) over a 40 minute threshold interval. Now that they've got used to it, it's me who can't keep up! They've gained some more power for sure, but not that much, they've just learned how to make it hurt.
Chris said…
Colin - that is really interesting. I like the idea of learning to make it hurt. The mental side of all this is fascinating.
Chad said…
I've used the talk test ever since I started training. One client said, when I asked if he could complete a sentence, said, "Jesus wept." As he was just about to fall off the bike at almost maximum effort.

I learned then that my cues had to be more, uhm, clear!

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...