Wednesday, December 21, 2011

That Plank World Record....The Video

Yesterday I posted about George Hood breaking the world plank record with a phenomenal time of 1 hour 20 minutes  and 5.01 seconds.... John Sifferman is a connoisseur of the plank and had a good post today of the achievement, which included this inspirational video:





John proposes a challenge: a 5 Minute Plank...

George Hood. That’s the name of the man who will be entered into the Guinness Book of World Records after holding the plank exercise longer than anyone else ever has – obliterating the world record by nearly 30 seconds…wait…I mean minutes – 30 minutes.

Maybe you’ve done a plank before, and maybe you thought you’ve done pretty well. Depending on who you talk to, a three minute plank hold is generally considered the gold standard – and anything beyond that is just gravy. Once you’ve hit 3 minutes and beyond, your core is already plenty strong – or so they say. However, I think a growing number of people have already proven that much of successful planking is all in your head. Mental toughness was certainly a deciding factor with the 5 minute plank challenge I posted last year. And I mean, come on, once you’ve done it for 5 minutes, you’re in the elite club, right?

1 comment:

Bill said...

Okay, I'm 47 years old. I'm sure it's been at least a year, probably longer, since I bothered doing a single plank. I just did a 3 minute and 15 second plank with little problem. It was actually fatigue in my shoulders that gave me the biggest issue. I'm guessing that planks don't challenge enough to be worth doing. Really, what are the REAL and DOCUMENTED benefits of doing them?