Skip to main content

A goody bag?

Yesterday I did what has become my annual 5K run - the BUPA Great Winter Run, here in Edinburgh.  I had not run 5K since the same race last year.  I don't really enjoy running.  Walking is great.  Sprinting too, but running not really.  I think it is a great skill to have but to me it is not really that enjoyable. (Nor really exercise, but that is a different issue.)

Anyway, I got around  in just under 31 minutes which on one level is pretty crap, but I was satisfied with it in that:

  • It is around Arthur's Seat a big hill/mountain in the centre of the city so the first part of the course is up a big incline
  • I have not run like this for a year
  • I was keeping an easy pace, making sure I was not getting out of breath at all
The Goody Bag.....

Enough of the excuses.  What amused me was the goody bag. I think I did a post like this last year, but again I was amazed at the contents, the bits they gave away with the T Shirt:

The crap it contained
  • A quality long sleeve T shirt
  • A bottle of powerade - sugar water....far from healthy
  • A sampler tube of toothpaste
  • Two samplers of deoderant
  • A packet of tissues
  • Jointace Gel - a massage oil for sore muscles
  • A sampler of Dove body lotion
  • A strepsil throat lozenge
  • Biscuits
  • Lo Salt salt substitute
  • Arnica Gel
  • PowerBar Shots
  • An Eat Natural Bar

 It cracks me up how the goody bag is just a marketing opportunity for companies to get samples of all their crap into the hands of lots of their target market.

Comments

Chris Sturdy said…
"Goodies" indeed! I can't remember the last time I ran a road race...1998? Good for you to show that you can complete it, breath intact, with no run training!
Herryponting said…
This comment has been removed by the author.

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...