Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Lack of sleep makes you hungry

We've been saying this for a while.  Good health - the optimal operation of all your systems - is built on quality sleep.  Of course I know this and preach this but must admit that my own sleep habits are not what they should be.  Work and family problems are worrying me and I am waking too early, thinking about things.

Good sleep....in pitch black.

Anyway, here is a study I spotted today - Lack of Sleep Makes Your Brain Hungry

"After a night of total sleep loss, these males showed a high level of activation in an area of the brain that is involved in a desire to eat. Bearing in mind that insufficient sleep is a growing problem in modern society, our results may explain why poor sleep habits can affect people's risk to gain weight in the long run. It may therefore be important to sleep about eight hours every night to maintain a stable and healthy body weight."

There is a journal referenced, but I can't find the article yet.

Acute Sleep Deprivation Enhances the Brain's Response to Hedonic Food Stimuli: An fMRI Study. The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, 2012; DOI: 10.1210/jc.2011-2759

1 comment:

Jacquie said...

Yeah, I'm reading this in a haze of tiredness, wondering why my fasting regime has failed today. Your post arrived at the exact time I neede to read it. Screw the grant application, I'm going back to bed!