Skip to main content

News: Vegetarian diet is bad for the thyroid

I spotted this poster outside a newsagent today and it prompted me to buy the paper:


The story is here and basically is telling us that thyroid problems are increasing because:

  • More people are cutting RED meat from their diet
  • People are eating more soy
 The latest official figures show that NHS Scotland spent £8 million treating thyroid conditions in 2011 compared with just £2.2 million in 2001. Over the same decade, the number of prescriptions for thyroid problems soared from 1.2 million to 2.2 million.

Experts believe a lack of iron from reduced red meat consumption and large amounts of soya in some vegetarian meals has contributed to the increase of more than 300 per cent in Scotland’s thyroid drug bill.
The poster really made me stop - it is so rare to see vegetarian diets identified as UNhealthy.

Comments

CPT_STORK said…
isn't this kinda bad science? I mean if they're correlating two independent facts ('cutting red meat from diet' and 'increase in thyroid problems') is it really that conclusive?

Furthermore, assuming the cause and effect are valid, is this really a big deal? It doesn't mean vegetarianism is inherently unhealthy, it just means that more care needs to be taken to get balanced nutrients - which is true for any diet: if you were to eat nothing but lean meat (e.g. rabbit) you'd get very sick, possibly die. This doesn't mean eating rabbit is unhealthy.
Chris said…
Of course. It is like that red meat study that we all ripped into. Just more epidemiology.......
John said…
...Except there are also controlled studies and physiological facts that impicate veg*n diets in thyroid problems (too much soy, low vitamin A, etc). It could be that iron problems are actually a result of the poor thyroid function/metabolism, not a low intake itself.
FredT said…
@CPT_STORK

Spring rabbit disease is mostly myth. It required that you basically be starving first, then only eat starving rabbits. Not a common situation today, and this is April 1 of course.

If you eat only protein, first you loss energy, become lethargic, in just a few days, and your body starts to let go of fat to balance the energy demand at the reduced level produce by the lethargy. Self preservation likely, conserving energy in famine, just like any weight loss program.
Nigel Kinbrum said…
Published on Sunday 1 April 2012 00:00

oh-oh!
tanaka2006 said…
Baloney!!! ( Vegan baloney)
Chris said…
It wasn't the April Fool story - that one was about pandas and bagpipes....

http://www.scotsman.com/scotland-on-sunday/scotland/pipes-play-music-of-love-for-edinburgh-zoo-pandas-1-2209167
Nigel Kinbrum said…
It's getting harder and harder to tell fact from fiction!
Anonymous said…
@CPT_STORK It's not just correlation, they identify reduction in red meat as a possible cause because of the proposed mechanism (reduced iron) not just because it happened at the same time. One of the major problems in the 'red meat increases all cause mortality' theory is that protein, animal protein, fat and animal fat *aren't* associated with mortality, so you really have to wonder how it could be that red meat specifically, magically causes death, but not foods which have much the same properties as red meat.

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...