Skip to main content

stop old people from falling.....go barefoot?

My work is too busy at the moment for me to do much on this blog, but I am still keeping an eye on news and research.

This study popped up last week and I thought it had some interesting implications.

Altering gait by way of stimulation of the plantar surface of the foot: the immediate effect of wearing textured insoles in older fallers

Conclusions - Stimulating the plantar surface of the foot by way of wearing this type of textured insole causes an immediate effect - in this case a slower, more cautious gait in older fallers. Further work is required to determine how textured insoles can be used to improve gait in older fallers.

The whole study is there for you to look through.

Anyway, what this made me think of was the value of being barefoot.  So much information comes from the feet, from the sole.  While shod, all that information is blunted.  Barefoot there is so much more stimulation and data that can be processed by the brain to feed into the proprioceptive system.

Textured insoles are just a "stepping stone" to being barefoot.  If they can help to prevent falls, maybe being barefoot....on rough rich surfaces...could do even more

Comments

Steven Sashen said…
I discussed this idea with Dr. Michael Merzenich, the neuroscientist featured in The Brain That Changes Itself. He's of the belief that old people fall because the 'brain map' of the foot has "de-differentiated" and doesn't see the foot as 5 flexible toes and a sole, but of a big, inflexible paddle. He agrees that they need to get barefoot to re-differentiate the brain map and regain the ability to get the necessary sensory information for balancing.

Similarly, I talked to Dr. Kirk Erikson, whose long-term study of old people showed that those who walked retained more gray matter as they aged. I proposed that if they walked barefoot they would have retained even more! He thought I was probably right, but didn't have the funding for another 9-year study ;-)
brando said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
brando said…
It's an interesting topic, but there needs to be much more research completed. It's all well and good to have the theories, but without a robust evidence-base all we have are theories.

This particular study is not randomized, and from what I can tell there is no blinding of subjects or assessors. The findings are promising, but of seemingly poor methodological quality.
nerd bro said…
Immediately, ergo carriers QuirkyBaby transforms the actual spotlight about the Boba Baby Provider, any clasp bag that’s quite recent nonetheless has get extremely popular. My personal visitor now is definitely Electronic Antunovic, custom on the Boba as well as founder of Quick sleep, Incorporated., that also helps make the Sleepy Wrap. Enjoyment fact concerning the Boba - it takes it's brand out of Boulderergo baby carrier Baby (bag).
Nigel Kinbrum said…
Old folk walking around in bare feet would not be allowed in mum's care home. "They'd catch a chill" would be one reason. Old folk have to be kept at a sufficiently high temperature that they're asleep most of the time during the day.

"They'd slip and fall" would be another reason. "They'd get an infection in their feet" would probably be another.
Anemone said…
I read a bunch of research on this a while back. Seniors are *more* likely to fall while barefoot than while wearing shoes - I think the thinking is their proprioceptiveness weakens with age (no idea if this also happens with barefooters - I would hope not but you never know). Training with a wobble board can help with balance. I think they need the extra feedback from the sides of their shoes for balance, since the sensory input from the soles is weaker.
D. John said…
Funny enough my grandmother fell down the stairs and told me that she doesn't have these problems when barefoot, but only with running shoes (never mind why not walk around barefoot in your own house...)

I bought her some shoes with very thin soles - some old Speedo water shoes, I think - and problem solved.

good pre-paleo-popularity book I read on this was Phil Maffetone's "fix your feet".
Chris said…
Maffetone was ahead of his time as usual....

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...