Concurrent resistance and aerobic exercise stimulates both myofibrillar and mitochondrial protein synthesis in sedentary middle-aged men
Here they look at the impact of :
- resistance training alone;
- aerobic exercise alone; and
- resistance exercise and aerobic exercise together;
The way that I read it is that doing both together is equivalent in effect - in most measures they were looking at, protein synthesis in the muscles mainly) to doing either resistance exercise or aerobic exercise.
Questions for discussion....
- Why was the resistance exercise 8 sets of 8 reps? Why not something simpler?
- What is more time efficient?
- Why do they always pick leg extensions?