Skip to main content

Keep track of your diet to lose fat

Getting leaner
This is probably obvious, or should be, but it is something that I've learned recently.  Prompted by a post from Jeff Erno a few months ago I moved from my normal routine of just eating a good real food diet to actually tracking my intake and working to achieve certain macros and calorie levels.  It was quite instructive in terms of how much fat I was eating and how soon that crowded out other macro nutrients, if I was aiming for a particular calorie level in order to lose fat.  Nothing wrong with dietary fat....but ultimately calories count and it is easy to eat too much when you focus on butter and cream......

Once I started tracking and playing with a few other tricks (IF and carb cycling under the guidance of a coach) things started to really kick in and I am leaner than I've ever been.   I am sure I'll write more about this at some point.

Anyway, here is a press release about a study which highlights the potential value of tracking your food witha simple food journal if you want to lose fat.


Want to lose weight? Keep a food journal, don't skip meals and avoid going out to lunch


"For individuals who are trying to lose weight, the No. 1 piece of advice based on these study results would be to keep a food journal to help meet daily calorie goals. It is difficult to make changes to your diet when you are not paying close attention to what you are eating," said McTiernan, director of the Hutchinson Center's Prevention Center and a member of its Public Health Sciences Division.

Comments

FeelGoodEating said…
How much do you weigh Chris and how tall are you?

I couldn't agree more that the food journal and keeping track really realy works and WILL bring the results you're after. There's a new app called MealSnap that's pretty decent and certainly time efficient.

Marc
Chris said…
Hi Marc. I am about 6 ft and currently about 154lb. Over years I have been up to 235lbs but feel much better and fitter at this weight. I like MyFitnessPal for tracking on the iphone but often use the simple rules that Andy has at http://rippedbody.jp/2011/10/18/want-to-make-your-if-leangains-diet-simpler-dont-count-calories/
FeelGoodEating said…
Chris,You're looking lean for sure, good for you.

Thanks for that link, will take a look.

I like myfitnesspal also.

Marc
Ondrej said…
I think one needs even simpler routine. Eating real food. What about just meeting daily protein neeeds(let's say the upper line is 2.2g per kg of lean body mass, that's ideal I think), but thanks to the rule of 7...7g in eggs, in 30g of meat, cup of yoghurt...etc.
Then fortifying this by staying under 50g of carbs - which means 100g of berries a day + 60 g of nuts + unlimited veggies + still little space for other sources like piece of chocolate.
The rest is fat - olive oil, butter, fat in meat....the amount of fat is ruled by satiety, which now is in check thanks to low carb levels, and you will naturally eat less.
And you could add once a week 24h fasting if results weren't enough. What do you think? After a while, no counting...
Chris said…
Ondrej

I think your protein target is fine. I don't think there is any need to limit carbs to 50g per day at all.
Ondrej said…
Chris

Yes, that may be true. In fact, that returns us to paleo+IF thing which some recommend.
But I guess it may be better to eat foods that don't cause hunger cravings. I don't think fruit does, but in large amounts...
And shouldn't it allow better access to fat stores? I mean...when I don't really count anything...this should help one to become lean by having adequate satiety feelings.
I understand you don't have to limit carbs, but what I really limit is calorie intake. I just try to find a way to eat without counting, to eat healthy, feel content...I just read Eat Stop Eat and if it's true that 1-2day a week 24h fasting is all you need, it's awesome.
Anonymous said…
Getting really lean without counting calories (or going by hunger) isn't going to work well. This level of reduced body fat is not physiologically normal for most. Expect some hunger - that's normal.
Bryce said…
I think 'anonymous' hits on an important point, which is that 8-pack level leanness just isn't physiologically normal for most, nor ideal for optimal survival, especially in northern lattitudes.

I think if you're of european descent, your paleo ancestors probably walked around with fuzzy but visible abs (9-12%BF?).

That's not to say you shouldn't strive for getting very lean, but that one can eat a very healthy diet, strict paleo even, but never get very lean. I do think that seasonally fluctuating your calorie intake is probably salubrious (periods of ESE/Lean Gains style fasting mixed with periods of unweighed/unmeasured).

What do you think about seasonal caloric restriction/surplus?
Ondrej said…
I'd like to be lean at probably 8-9 percent BF, now I am kind of torn between following what I do now - under 50g of carbs a day, moderate protein (120g), unlimited fat, real food...and just eating Primal Blueprint style and incorporating 1-2 24h fasts a week ESE style. Do you think these two approaches are comparable in results? I feel that first diet does a good hod on calorie restriction and satiety, I already see results, but the 2nd option is tempting as it would allow me to think about counting even less...in fact just eat real food and not stressing about ketosis etc..are my assumptions correct? And how far do you think one can get using these principles regarding bodyfat? I am from Central Europe.
Ondrej said…
*hod=job
FeelGoodEating said…
Hi Bryce,

Couldn't agree more about seasonal caloric restriction.

Where i grew up in Holland,
Winter "foods" = potatoes, meat and veggies and fat (gravy)
summer "foods" = fruits, vegetables, fish

Marc
Chris said…
Ondrej

There is lots of info about this approach on the rippedbody site. I am not saying that this is the one true way or the only way to eat but it is working. You need a calorie deficit to lose fat; keeping protein high helps you to feel fuller for longer and may have some impact on preserving lean tissue; having the high carb days thrown in helps to prevent the metabolism from crashing - resets leptin etc.

A standard real food diet for the most part is fine. I am just experimenting with this to see if I can get abs. If you want to lose fat just cut calories a little.

Again - I am not as convinced by low carb as I used to be. There is no need to worry about staying under 50g or whatever in general.
Chris said…
Bryce

I've been easting quality paleo for years and never really got that lean...This approach has delivered it.

I'd agree with Marc too - when Iw as growing up summer was all about salads and cold meats, winter was spuds, stews, rice puddings etc
Ondrej said…
Chris

I totally want to get abs and low BF percentage in general. It's clear to me that paleo alone isn't enough.
I agree that maintaining protein level is crucial.
Calorie deficit could be achieved by 1-2 day 24h fasting a week.
Is high carb day really necessary if I don't stay under 50g carbs and jsut eat +-real food? I mean...in the end, its our long term diet what really counts, isn't this too much as an attepmt to control the outcome? I will have to read through rippedbody again...
Asclepius said…
@Marc:

Winter "foods" = potatoes, meat and veggies and fat (gravy)
Summer "foods" = fruits, vegetables, fish

Very good advice (although I tend to eat meat and fish be it summer or winter).

Eat predominantly twice (and occasionally once) a day and you should get good results (lean).
Ondrej said…
UPDATE: I am in the middle of reading Eat Stop Eat by Brad Pilon. It's like if Martin Berkman (who recommends it btw) and Leo Babauta wrote a book about diet together. Fantastic! Highly recommended for those who look for minimalist yet top class diet advice, maybe to complement their minimalist HIT workout and life as a whole.
js290 said…
What if eating more raises your metabolism? http://healthcorrelator.blogspot.com/2012/07/14-percent-advantage-of-eating-little.html
Christine said…
Great post! I've found that keeping a food journal is absolutely essential for losing weight. At the very least, it keeps you focused on how much food you're putting in your mouth. It ends unconscious eating which can really pack on the pounds!

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...