Skip to main content

Super Slow training puts muscle on old people

Well it is not exactly Superslow (TM)  as RennEx would prescribe this is a moderately slow protocol - 3 second positive, 3 second negative.  Also from the abstract it is difficult to be clear about what they did...but even so it is good to see this study.  Old people need muscle and this is a clear way to put some beef on them.   Twice a week that is all.

Can anyone get the full paper?



We investigated the effects of low-intensity resistance training on muscle size and strength in old men and women. Thirty five participants (59-76 years old) were randomly assigned into two groups and performed low-intensity (50% of one-repetition maximum) knee extension and flexion exercises with either slow movement and tonic force generation (LST; 3-s eccentric, 3-s concentric, and 1-s isometric actions with no rest between each repetition) or normal speed (LN; 1-s concentric and 1-s eccentric actions with 1-s rest between each repetition) twice a week for 12 weeks (2-week preparation and 10-week intervention). The LST significantly increased thigh muscle thickness as well as isometric knee extension and flexion strengths. The LN significantly improved the strength, but its hypertrophic effect was limited. These results indicate that even for older individuals, the LST can be an effective method for gaining muscle mass and strength.

Comments

Dave Riley said…
'Tis a great day that I slowed down my KB and DB lifts. No injuries to be had. No ab herniation. Focus on technique rather than grunt. And any time I wat to challenge myself further I don't have to go out and buy a heavier weight -- just have toi slow down some more. Think : Tai Chi Chuan.

And for once I'm bulking up and getting definition.
Steve said…
Found this one that appears to be similar with "young men"-
http://jap.physiology.org/content/100/4/1150.full.pdf
Anonymous said…
Heres the full article: http://www.sendspace.com/file/kgi6tk
Sounds like TUT, time under tension, and legs always love TUT, I can't see this for deadlift. Not anyone using real weight.
Anonymous said…
Just make sure you're using fake weight
douglis said…
''In this study, we matched the intensity of exercise and the work volume (total repetition) to make LST and LN protocols different only with respect to exercise movement.''

Here's the answer.The slow group went much closer to failure.Nothing new.

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...