Skip to main content

Protein, little and often?

The debate on this one seems to go on and on.

Here is a new study which recommends moderate protein every 3 hours rather than something less frequent.

We conclude that the pattern of ingested protein, and not only the total daily amount, can impact whole-body protein metabolism. Individuals aiming to maximize NB would likely benefit from repeated ingestion of moderate amounts of protein (~20g) at regular intervals (~3h) throughout the day.


Daytime pattern of post-exercise protein intake affects whole-body protein turnover in resistance-trained males


The whole paper is available to read, so it will be interesting to go through it and see what they are really saying.

Comments

JamesSteeleII said…
Will be interesting to see this done over a longer period to see whether acute NB due to this feeding regimen translates to greater muscle mass.

Layne Norton's PhD work using rats has got me thinking about this. His results showed that higher acute synthesis levels in response to protein intake at regular intervals associated with greater muscle mass, whereas the same amount of protein but with a lower meal frequency resulted in greater liver mass.

Perhaps eating little and often in terms of protein is good for maximising muscle mass, but, is an IF/low meal frequency approch better for the health of other organs? I suppose it comes down to the persons goals - big muscles or big liver?.

Well really it comes down to whether the effects remain the same in humans compared with rats.
Simon Whyatt said…
I agree this discussion will probably go on forever!

I'm certainly not going to make any decisions based on NB/protein turnover though, as I've seen little evidence to indicate it really translates into muscle growth.

As a counter balance, here's a study in humans, measuring actual changes in LBM which found 3 meals superior to 6 meals in terms of producing muscle growth: https://ecss2007.cc.jyu.fi/schedule/proceedings/pdf/1796.pdf

Personally, the convenience of eating fewer meals, coupled with the growing evidence for the potential health benefits of IF/Protein Fasting would make it unlikely I'd ever go back to eating protein every 2 hours even if it was "scientifically proven to get me jacked in just 6 weeks..."
JamesSteeleII said…
Absolutely! I don't think I'd personally ever get 'jacked' anyway based upon my genetics. Eat protein every few hours to get a minor increase in muscle mass over what I can get with proper RT? Not worth the hassle for the outcome.
JamesSteeleII said…
*and diet combined with IF
Good comments made so far, and I'd agree with the point that I'd be suspicious about NB translating to extra mass, I'd also go for the multitude of benefits from IF over a potential benefit from regular protein feedings...

Thanks for posting this Chris,
George

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...