Thursday, November 22, 2012

Intermittent Fasting - weight loss and cardio-protection in obese women



Another study from Varady's group - they've done a fair bit of research on IF in the past.  Interesting how the approach is put together: not a compressed eating window, but a 1 day a week fast with the other days being 2 meal replacement shakes and a normal food but calorie controlled dinner.  I wonder how important the fast was in this.  (the full paper is available)

At least the researchers recognise this - they admit that they do not show whether it was the IF or the calorie restriction that caused the benefits:


This study is limited in that it did not tease apart the effect of IF and CR on body weight and  CHD risk. Thus, the independent contributions of the IF diet versus the CR diet on these various parameters, are not known. In order to answer these key questions, a future study should be performed that compares the effect of IF combined with CR, to that of IF alone, and CR alone.




Intermittent fasting combined with calorie restriction is effective for weight loss and cardio-protection in obese women

3 comments:

George Adventures In Health said...

Good find Chris,

Off I go to read the full text now, although just skimming over the abstract I'm wondering why they didn't have a cross over design or a control group, after all the differences between the two groups was pretty small...

Thanks again,
George

Personal Training Certification said...

Sorry Chris,

But i am not agree with on the quote i.e. you can loose your weight through fasting. Because i have do that already for one year. I was making fast for 2 days in a week but still not any decrease in my weight.
I think women have natural body for that.

So you have to experienced it personally.

Anonymous said...

I'm surprised more people aren't commenting on this article. I struggled with my weight for years and one day decided to search for a weight-loss program that would work for me. I made the decision to stick with it. I found a program called 31-Day Fat Loss Cure and have been following it for two months. I've lost 40 pounds already. I found it on a review site called insanefatlossreviews.com.

Anyone who is trying to lose weight, I suggest finding your own way to lose weight. It's a personal journey.